Product Design Engineer - (Product Design Validation, Product Architecture)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is looking for a Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineer to join the Product Design Validation team. As part of the PDV team, you will work closely with design teams across the organization to evaluate product designs and influence design decisions early in the development cycle. You have a unique opportunity to put your “fingerprints” on practically all the hardware we design.
- Hands on lab experience using data acquisition equipment (DAQs)
- Experience working with data from a mix of sources (analog and digital sensors) and building integrated test setups
- Understanding of the scientific method and relevant statistical principles.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment - comfortable asking and answering tough questions during professional, respectful debates.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivation, resourcefulness and creativity plus the ability to inspire these qualities in others.
- Desired: Demonstrable technical depth in any of the following:
- System dynamics, modeling and optimization
- Mechanical design experience - preferably a mix of product and test equipment design experience using CAD (NX preferred).
- Experience integrating motors, micro-controllers, sensors and mechanical fixtures
- Experience with Image processing using high speed video, or digital image correlation
- Ability to simplify build simple prototypes/demos to help drive design decision making.
- Programming in Matlab, Python, C++, Arduino
- Measurement system automation with LabVIEW, Matlab, etc.
- Developing SOP’s and defining product specifications
- Shock & vibration design environments
- User studies & human factors testing (EMG, motion capture, eye tracking)
- Materials testing and analysis
- Prior experience in either consumer electronics, bio-medical, automotive or test equipment.
The successful candidate must be a detailed problem solver, with the ability to analyze a design quickly and provide a means of characterizing the design intent of a subcomponent, module or complete system. You must be able to provide actionable recommendations to the design team with data supported, persuasive presentations. Experience in design and empirical data collection with a solid foundation of mechanical engineering principles are critical.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics.