Materials Engineer - Glass/Brittle Materials
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and you will help to create the next generation of the world’s finest electronic devices. As a Product Design Materials Engineer within the Brittle Materials organization you will drive the rapid advancement of materials and processes that are the building blocks of our devices.
- BS/MS/PhD in Materials Science / Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Physics / Chemistry
- Technical knowledge of glass, glass-ceramic, & structural ceramics
- Technical knowledge of glass strengthening mechanisms, particularly chemical strengthening and a specialty in ion exchange.
- Fundamental understanding of chemical processes occurring during ion exchange chemical strengthening
- Understanding of the relationship between chemical structure and mechanical properties of glass
- Strong analytical / problem solving skills and ability to use statistical tools and techniques
- Ability to independently drive projects and deliver a product
- Excellent communication, organizational, and leadership skills
- Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment.
- Knowledge of different materials characterization and analysis methods (SEM, EDS, XRD, etc)
- Experience with material reliability testing and standards
As a Materials Engineer within the Brittle Materials organization, you will drive the rapid advancement of materials and processes that are the building blocks of our devices.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Materials Science / Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Physics / Chemistry
- Preferred Experience
- • Knowledge and experience with system design and integration
- • Experience with glass manufacturing and associated finishing processes
- • Familiar with failure analysis and fractography of glass, ceramics and other brittle materials
- • Track record of material selection and development for products with demanding performance requirements
- This position will require international travel (20%+)