Mac & iPad Acoustic Integration Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience - Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. The Mac and iPad Acoustics Integration team is ultimately responsible for the complete audio systems of what are extremely challenging form-factors with high expectations of sound quality. We are a mixed team of acoustics experts, accomplished listeners, and creative problem solvers. We work daily with multi-functional teams and suppliers to find innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges. We are looking for an Integration Engineer to join our team of dedicated and passionate engineers.
- A proven technical background (5+ years) in an acoustic engineering role, ideally producing high-volume portable electronic devices
- Expertise in one of more of the following: audio electronics, audio transducer design, perceptual & subjective audio quality evaluation, acoustic test and measurement analysis
- Experience with integration of speakers & microphones into products
- Basic acoustic simulation experience
- Proficiency in signal processing and data analysis (e.g. MATLAB)
- Understanding of acoustic and structural resonance and vibration
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Self-disciplined, with the ability to prioritize and focus
- While not required, it is especially helpful if you have any of the following: an appreciation of structural dynamics, an understanding of material properties and their impact on acoustics, experience with methods for perceptual and subjective audio quality evaluation.
As an Acoustics Integration Engineer, you will drive the innovation and development of audio hardware for Apple products. This will include owning audio system architecture from concept to mass production, solving speaker and microphone acoustic integration challenges in a multi-functional team, communicating audio and acoustic concepts to project teams and management, driving custom speaker and microphone design and optimization. International travel to support engineering activities is required (approximately 10%).
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Signal Processing, Electronics, Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in acoustics or sound quality, we still want to hear from you. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.