Acoustic Engineer - Apple Watch
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience so Apple has assembled a dynamic Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. As we continue to grow, we are looking for someone to help us innovate, define and execute the next generation of acoustic designs for the Apple Watch. Designing the acoustic modules for the Apple Watch is both exciting and challenging thanks to its small size and extensive reliability requirements. This or course includes the 50 meter water resistance rating. While the majority of components take refuge inside the product, our microphone and speaker have to be exposed to the environment to capture and project sound. Being an acoustic engineer on Apple Watch is all about defining designs that survive these harsh conditions while enhancing our acoustic performance in a product small enough to fit on your wrist.
- We highly value previous experience working on audio solutions for consumer electronics. Ideally this would be 4+ years of experience
- Having a strong understanding of the operating principles of MEMs microphones and/or micro-speakers is expected
- Experience with integrating speakers & microphones into products
- Acoustic failure analysis, and design of experiments
- Data analysis using your preferred SW package (e.g. MATLAB, JMP, Excel, etc)
- Ability to simulate modules/systems (e.g. MATLAB, COMSOL, Spice, etc)
- Experience with mass production of high volume consumer products is helpful
- Experience in the design of robust water resistant acoustic modules a bonus
- Engineering leadership/management skills is a bonus
An acoustic design engineer drives innovation and development of audio hardware for Apple products. This will include owning audio system architecture from concept to mass production and solving speaker and microphone acoustic integration challenges in a multi-functional team. Communicating audio and acoustic concepts/targets to project teams and management. Additionally, driving custom speaker and microphone design and optimization. International travel to support engineering activities (required, approximately 15%) Building and testing of acoustic prototypes
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Signal Processing, Electronics, Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in acoustics or sound quality, we still want to hear from you. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.