Audio Applications Prototyping Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience - Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. Our Audio Systems Engineering team develops and integrates new audio features for Apple’s products. We are a team of diverse engineers bringing together demonstrations and prototypes of new audio technologies and overseeing their implementation into Apple’s products. We work openly and collaboratively throughout Apple’s deeply-connected engineering and product development teams.
- A deep understanding of audio frequency acoustics
- A deep understanding of real-time DSP (filter design options for real time processing)
- Knowledge of multi-microphone techniques (beam-forming, source localisation, direction of arrival estimation, adaptive filtering)
- Expertise with Matlab and Max/MSP
- Proven experience in the application of technologies for audio improvement, including equalisation, dynamic compression and real time filter design
- A good understanding of audio processing on embedded systems
- A good understanding of metrics used to quantify audio quality
- Critical and analytical listening skills
- A history of developing high-volume consumer electronics
- Familiarity with solutions for acoustic echo cancellation and active noise control would be advantageous.
- Familiarity with modern, data-drive methods in deep learning would also be advantageous
The primary activity of the Audio Applications Prototyping Engineer will be the rapid bring-up of complex audio features using modern tools and methods. This will include implementation of multi-functional audio processing systems on custom hardware platforms, aided by varying combination of Matlab and Max/MSP tools. You will need to be able to provide guidance to acoustics engineers on prototype and product hardware design, and will thus need a deep understanding of audio frequency acoustics. You will also be expected to demonstrate efficient acoustic scene analysis algorithms and implementations of audio filtering using very-low-latency methods. In many cases, the needed algorithms will be available from others; in some cases, your own algorithm development may be required.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Signal Processing, Electronics, Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in acoustics or sound quality, we still want to hear from you. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.