Motion Sensing Hardware Engineer - Magnetics
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
You will play a key role in specifying, developing, characterizing, and validating motion sensing systems. You should be familiar with MEMS sensor technologies such as motion sensor performance metrics, magnetic sensor device physics and applications, system integration, and manufacturing technologies of such sensors. The Motion Sensing Hardware Team features a collaborative environment with creative, smart people and state of the art technologies. This team integrates MEMS, magnetic and capacitive sensors across a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks. Engineering excellence and thoroughness are expected and encouraged. Invention and patent creation are expected and supported. Opening up the boundaries to design and ship innovative products with best-in-class technologies and user experiences is the main goal of this sensing technology team at Apple.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience and proven track record in sensing system hardware engineering.
- Experience in architecture, design, characterization, and validation of magnetic sensing systems that includes theory of operation, signal processing, fabrication, packaging and design trade-offs.
- Experience in electrical engineering, especially in board level analog and mixed-signal systems design.
- Familiar with magnetic sensing technologies, such as hall effect, magnetoresistive and magneto inductive sensors.
- Proficient in simulation, data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis tools (ANSYS Maxwell, Comsol, Matlab, Python, JMP).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and solid teamwork and leadership skills.
- The willingness and ability to travel are required.
Core Responsibilities: - Evaluate and drive sensor design, technology investigation, manufacturing process development, and system integration. - Diagnose engineering issues with true scientific method driving to definitive root cause. - Identify, create, and document new sensing system metrics that deliver performance and matter to customer perception. - Work cross-functionally to identify and specify critical performance parameters and error sensitivities. - Develop measurement methods and equipment that are repeatable, reproducible, and automated as appropriate to enable thorough validation coverage of sensors on tight development schedules. - Support engineering build activities with performance validation measurements, yield optimization, and failure analysis coordination. - Performance matching across multiple sources for sensors. - Work with suppliers to proactively identify and resolve issues of matching to our specs. - Analyze trade-offs among performance, manufacturability, size, schedule and cost. - Travel to supplier facilities and manufacturing sites for production validation and issues resolution. - Author high quality and thorough engineering requirements specifications for sensors. - Prepare and deliver presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies for ongoing sensing system programs.
Education & Experience
Requires PhD degree in engineering or Bachelor/MS degree