Flex DFM Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple products are as alluring on the inside as they are on the outside. Inside every one of our products, are some of the world's most challenging consumer PCBA and Flex designs. Imagine yourself as a select member of the team that brings these assemblies from concept to high volume manufacturing.
- The Flex DFM Engineer possesses a deep knowledge of the processes and materials used to create flexible printed circuits
- An engineer with at least 3 - 10 years of applicable experience.
- Experience with antenna related flexes is a plus.
- A proven understanding of the link between flex design rules, industry capability and the specific processes required to meet various capability levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cause and effect relationship between manufacturing practices and defect modes in flexible printed circuits and assemblies.
- Familiarity with surface mount assembly of flexible circuits including standard methodologies for material and tooling selection as well as component footprint design rules.
- Firsthand experience with backend processes and tooling design for flexible printed circuit assemblies including punching, bending, and attach of stiffeners and adhesives.
- Established capability in statistical methods of data analysis including SPC and DOE.
- Knowledge of industry specifications for flexible printed circuits and assemblies.
- Experience with Allegro, Valor, NX8 and JMP as well as Mac OSX and UNIX is desirable.
- Strong communication skills with the talent to articulate technical detail to others with varying levels of technical expertise.
- An outgoing personality with the ability to work constructively with others through differences of opinion.
- A willingness to participate in communication with overseas team members at irregular hours and travel overseas as necessary ~30%.
You will provide maintenance of Apple's general specification and design guidelines for flexible printed circuits and design rule roadmap. You will analyze defects in flexible printed circuits and maintain leadership of improvement activities. You will have ownership of collaborative development projects with flexible printed circuit vendors, including: • Qualification of vendor manufacturing sites and lines. • Review of vendor design feedback coupled with analysis of vendor capability and implementation of appropriate design improvements.
Education & Experience
Degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or Materials Science Engineering