Technology Development Engineer - Packaging Product Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, the customer experience extends beyond the product itself. Every aspect of product interaction plays a crucial role in creating the customer experience, and packaging is often the very first one that is encountered. There is a universal joy in unboxing Apple products, and that experience is designed and created by a passionate team that is continually pushing the boundaries of engineering and materials. As a Technology Development Engineer, you will own mechanical design of new functional structures and will be responsible for the performance testing/analysis to achieve improved designs. In this role you will utilize your mechanical design engineering skills and aptitude to own the end-to-end mechanical development and integration of state of the art modules into next generation Apple products. You will be part of a cross-functional design team responsible for conceiving, designing and producing exciting new technologies to enable future package designs. Responsibilities of this role will span from new concept development to mass-production manufacturing. Close cooperation with internal team members and cross-functional groups throughout Apple will be required. The job will require interaction with offshore suppliers and will require periodic travel to international sites and within USA as needed. The candidate should have strong knowledge of mechanical design concepts, material and structure evaluation tools, and a drive to generate accurate engineering information with high attention to detail. Deep focus on creative modeling and measurement of performance is critical to success in this role. Prior experience in a fast paced engineering environment is preferred.
- 2+ years of technical work in Mechanical Engineering, Product Development, Product Testing or similar
- Innovative problem solving, ability to balance creativity with engineering rigor
- Good mechanical engineering analysis skills
- Strong attention to detail and curiosity of how technologies work
- Ability to present technical information in a thorough and confident manner to management and executive teams
- Knowledge of material and structural characterization tests
- Experience with FEA analysis and structure optimization
- Experience in design/execution of experiments and analysis of data into actionable results
- Experience with mechanical and environmental reliability testing preferred but not required
- Able to travel internationally (20%+)
This role will develop new packaging designs, technologies, and evaluation tools. You will work with the PD team and other stakeholders to develop concepts, engineer solutions and define performance measures. Through engineering analysis, you will quantify performance vs. risk and advise the leadership team on the best path forward. You will demonstrate creativity in problem solving, the ability to think dynamically and outside of standard convention, and adapt quickly to new technical areas. - Brainstorming and executing engineering innovative packaging technologies mechanical design concepts in all phases of the development cycle. - Performing design validation and characterization from prototype through MP testing, including develop and refine predictive reliability test procedures and performance specifications - Driving failure analysis and developing corrective actions/design solutions. - Executing multiple projects concurrently, including remote oversight of activities at vendors/third party labs
Education & Experience
- BS or MS in Mechanical/Industrial/Material Science/Packaging or Chemical Engineering or related fields. - 2+ years of experience preferred.