Firmware Engineer - Instrument Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We are looking for engineers with an Embedded Software and Firmware design background to join the growing Instrument Engineering team at Apple. This small team of extraordinary engineers designs and produces precision RF and Analog Test Equipment for use in calibrating and testing the Cellular, WiFi/BT and NFC radios in millions of iPhones, iPads, Macs and Watches. All members of the team bring their own unique expertise to collectively take internal Apple products from concept to mass production. Each internal product is designed to Apple's exacting standards resulting in appealing test equipment that maintains the quality, accuracy and function of commercially available offerings. You will already have an ambitious track record of success and innovation in at least one of the following disciplines: Embedded SW Design; FW Design; and Embedded System Architecture. By joining Apple’s Instrument Engineering team you will embark upon the best work of your career! Besides excelling in your field, the ability to work well with other groups within Apple, including Physical Design, Thermal, Reliability and Operations, to make a product worthy of the Apple brand is needed. If you’re ready for a challenge and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where your contributions are crucial then let us know!
- 5+ years experience designing embedded C/C++ firmware for high speed communication devices
- 3+ years experience with ARM and USB firmware
- Experience building extensible and robust real-time firmware frameworks;
- You have experience designing firmware for one or more wireless communications standards if you have: WiFi, Bluetooth, GSM, UMTS, CDMA, LTE;
- Fluent in use of lab equipment such as JTAG, USB protocol analyzers, etc...
- Are your skills proven in multi-threaded programming; revisions control skills
- You have board bring-up and “bare metal” programming experience;
- Your experience with Embedded Linux or RTOS is a plus;
- You are an excellent communicator, write design specs and communicate design concepts clearly to DSP, RF Designers and management;
- You have a history of success interacting closely with offshore engineering development and manufacturing partners and are flexible in a changing work environment.
As a Firmware Engineer you develop and optimize precision test equipment used by RF automation systems to test Apple’s newest products including iPhone, iPad, Mac and others for different wireless technologies. Duties include design, development, bring-up and debug of a multi-threaded firmware system capable of coordinating multiple gigabit data processing streams. Also in this role you will work passionately with teams across many functional engineering groups such as RF System Engineering, and Software engineering. We do some international travel on this team and you will too.
Education & Experience
BSEE or BSCE required.