Audio Technology Specialist
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience - Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. The Special Projects Group in Acoustics at Apple is responsible for developing novel audio and acoustic technologies to be delivered in both existing and new Apple products. The team uses simulation methods, hardware and software prototypes and subjective and objective evaluation techniques in order to refine and demonstrate new technologies. We work hand-in-hand with cross-functional teams, innovating in small groups to define, enable and deliver novel audio features and industry-leading consumer electronic devices.
- You have a track record of innovation and problem solving
- Proficiency in engineering computing (for example Matlab)
- Experience building audio prototypes and using prototyping software (such as Max MSP)
- Strong audio signal processing fundamentals (for example, Fourier analysis, transfer functions, filtering, linear algebra, matrix algebra etc)
- Experience conducting acoustic measurements using standard acoustic equipment (speakers, microphones, anechoic chambers, acoustic mannequins)
- Ability to communicate findings and ideas to other teams and to management using both written documents and Keynote presentations
- Ability to effectively contribute in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment
- Preferred experience with spatial audio and HRTFs, acoustic room modeling, collecting, organizing and analyzing large data sets.
- Experience with speaker or microphone arrays, or machine learning is a huge plus
As part of Apple’s Acoustics Special Projects Group, you will be involved early in the product cycle, helping to architect the audio system and developing and supporting the creation of new audio features. Much of the work involves building prototypes and creating audio demos to effectively communicate novel features and demonstrate technical tradeoffs. In order to achieve this, the team works cross functionally with many different audio and non-audio teams to ensure successful product/feature bring-up and delivery.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Signal Processing or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in audio technology development, we still want to hear from you. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.