Tooling Engineer- Plastics
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they craft the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
- Position requires 10+ years in the mold making and molding industry.
- Extensive experience in tooling design and manufacturing required.
- Knowledge of plastic materials and design for manufacturing in terms of geometry and cosmetic quality.
- Lens and optical tooling experience
- Experience in developing plastic processing parameters.
- Experience in leading complex development programs with overseas vendors (Asia) is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary.
- Frequent travel to Asia is required.
Lead the development of new plastic injection tooling projects to meet a wide range of product performance and cosmetic requirements. Lead Apple suppliers to design and produce world-class plastic tooling. Lead tool design and build, tool and process development and tool qualifications at the supplier. Collaborate with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing engineering groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part & tooling designs. Serve as Apple’s internal plastic tooling and manufacturing authority by demonstrating a thorough understanding of properties of various mold-making materials and tool component fabrication techniques. Institute continuous process improvement measures from initial product design through production ramp of new products. Proficient with the use of Design For Manufacturing, SPC, DOE and Six Sigma techniques. Take the leading role in driving the improvement of productivity and quality of plastic part manufacturing, molding and tooling techniques. Train engineers at supplier plants in Asia to utilize new tooling materials and fabrication techniques. Develop collaborative relationships with Apple suppliers through training and quality control visits. Advise supplier plants on maintaining correct controls on the processes.
Education & Experience
BS or MS Plastics Engineer preferred