Tooling Engineer- Metal Stamping
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple and help us leave the world better than we found it. We are looking for an experienced metal tooling and process engineer to provide a technical interface between our product design groups and our suppliers, and to drive development of extraordinary metal forming tooling and processes at our supply base.
- 5+ years industry experience
- Tool design, fabrication, and debugging
- Progressive tools, deep drawing, and forging
- Material science/mechanics
- Experience working with overseas suppliers
- Experience with simulation/FEA
- Understanding of GD&T, DOE, stats (Cp/Cpk), data analysis
- Good knowledge of secondary metal processes such as machining, and decorating (anodizing, plating, painting).
- Good material and metallurgical knowledge of metals, especially aluminum, steel, and stainless steel.
- Ability to travel 25% required
Assist in the product design process through Design for Manufacturing (DFM) input, as well as direct our suppliers in the design and manufacturing of tooling as well in actual part manufacturing. Participate in the product design process through appropriate Design for Manufacturing (DFM) input in metal components. Work with partner manufacturing teams to enable robust overall manufacturing process flow from raw material to finished product Work with our worldwide suppliers to design tools, decide on tool manufacturing method and develop forming process parameters that can enable us to meet geometric and cosmetic requirements for Apple products. Drive optimization of tools and process at suppliers through DOEs and builds from program start to product launch. Make appropriate use of tools such as DFM, SPC, Six Sigma etc. in the development of tooling and processes for metal part manufacture.
Education & Experience
BS in engineering (MS and PhD preferred)