Motion Sensing Systems Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
You will play a key role in specifying, developing, characterizing, and validating motion sensing systems. You should be familiar with technologies such as MEMS pressure sensors and/or waterproof sensor packages. You should also be familiar with product integration, and manufacturing technologies related to such sensors. The Motion Sensing Hardware team features a collaborative environment with creative, smart people and cutting edge technologies. This team integrates MEMS, magnetic and capacitive sensors across a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks. Engineering excellence and thoroughness are expected and encouraged. Invention and patent creation are expected and supported. Pushing the envelope to design and ship innovative products with best-in-class technologies and user experiences is the main goal of this sensing technology team at Apple.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience and proven track record in sensing system hardware engineering.
- Experience in architecture, design, characterization, and validation of sensing systems that includes theory of operation, signal processing, fabrication, packaging and design trade-offs.
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in physics, mechanical, electrical, and material science engineering, and manufacturing technology relevant for sensor fabrication.
- Proficient in modeling, data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis tools (e.g. Python, JMP).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and solid teamwork and leadership skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel are required.
Core Responsibilities: Diagnose engineering issues with true scientific method driving to definitive root cause. Identify, create, and document new sensing system metrics that deliver performance and matter to customer perception. Develop analytical models for new technology and features. Verify and improve models with experiments and data collection. Work cross-functionally to identify and specify critical performance parameters and error sensitivities. Develop measurement methods and equipment that are repeatable, reproducible, and automated as appropriate to enable thorough validation coverage of sensors on tight development schedules. Support engineering build activities with performance validation measurements, yield optimization, and failure analysis coordination. Performance matching across multiple sources for sensors. Work with suppliers to proactively identify and resolve issues of matching to our specs. Analyze trade-offs among performance, manufacturability, size, schedule and cost. Travel to supplier facilities and manufacturing sites for production validation and issues resolution. Create and help improve engineering requirements specifications for sensors. Prepare and deliver presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies for ongoing sensing system programs
Education & Experience
Requires PhD degree in engineering plus 2 years of relevant experience, or Bachelor/MS degree in engineering plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience.