HID Software & Algorithms Prototyping Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple’s Human Interface Devices (HID) group is responsible for developing innovative ways to interact with Apple products. We work across product lines, delivering technologies like iPhone 7 home button, iPhone X swipe gestures, 3D touch, Pencil, Watch Digital Crown, click controls on the new AirPods Pro, and so much more. The HID Algorithms team is looking for a software engineer to help us turn new sensors and algorithms into Apple's next-generation human interfaces. We are an eclectic group with backgrounds in computer science, estimation algorithms, human factors, and more, dedicated to inventing new ways of interacting with Apple products. We're looking for an engineer with excellent software fundamentals, excited to work with algorithm experts on prototyping and productizing the next wave of Apple Human Interfaces!
- Strong experience in both low-level and high-level programming. Understands good software design and memory management
- Solid algorithm and math fundamentals. You will be comfortable working with (and learning as necessary) topics like linear algebra, statistics, signal processing, machine learning, etc.
- Tenacity to learn new things quickly
- Excellent problem solving and root cause analysis skills
- Excellent presentation and verbal/written communications skills
This is a key position at a focal point for HW/SW/UI integration. Starting from early in the product lifecycle, this engineer will prototype new user experiences for iPhone, Apple Watch, and other top-secret projects. You will learn & work across the entire stack, from firmware to UI. You will help our team build algorithm pipelines to translate sensor data into user intent, design new gestures, and validate their effectiveness for a large population. The ideal engineer is comfortable working in a dynamic and creative team charged with crafting the way we will interact with next-generation Apple products. You are a self-motivated, excellent problem solver and a fast learner. You are quick to forge relationships and comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have strong technical skills and demonstrated experience in writing commercial grade software. You will bring software excellence to a highly interdisciplinary team, working with engineers of many talents to tackle challenging problems.
Education & Experience
Degree in CS/EE or related field; MS or experience preferred. Must have education or professional experience related to CS or Software Engineering.
- While not required, any of the following will make you more effective in this role:
- Experience in C, C++, Objective-C, Python, Matlab, Swift, or Unity
- Experience developing iOS, watchOS, or macOS applications or using MVC frameworks
- Experience developing for AR/VR
- Algorithm development in areas such as pattern or gesture recognition, adaptive filters, machine learning, sensor / image processing, or controls
- User interface design or graphics programming
- User studies and data analysis
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.