Subject Matter Expert (SME) - Automation
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The SME will drive automation activities for stringent module manufacturing processes as part of Manufacturing Design’s Automation team. Work with integrators, contract manufacturers, equipment vendors, and internal customers to develop advanced automation capabilities and implement them in the supply chain to exacting standards on tight project timelines.
- 5+ years of experience working on automation and robotics applications for mass production environments.
- Extensive experience designing, deploying, qualifying, supporting, and project leading automated manufacturing process lines that incorporate machine vision (including cameras, lighting, and programming), motion control (including actuators, motors, pneumatics) and sensors, with expertise in each of those component groups.
- Ability to reconcile DFM feedback with design goals, identify risk points, and make recommendations on mitigation opportunities.
- Expertise with one or more major brand PLCs (Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Beckhoff, Siemens, Allen-Bradley, etc.) and various PLC programming languages including Ladder Diagram, Structured Text and Function Block Diagram.
- Ability to drive root cause/corrective action and process optimization activities to closure efficiently with proper design of experiment (DOE) practices and detailed data analysis using statistical methods such as process capability, correlation, GR&R, etc. and software such as JMP, Matlab, etc.
- Fluent spoken and written English skills with clear, concise technical communications.
- Ability to work independently on a variety of demanding, concurrent projects.
- Expertise with one or more major brand (ABB, KUKA, Fanuc, etc.) six-axis industrial robots, their textual programming languages (RAPID, KRL, Karel, etc.), and their offline programming (OLP) packages (RobotStudio, KUKA.Sim, Roboguide, etc.), or equivalents.
- Extensive experience using CAD to review and design mechanical components and assemblies, and create proper engineering part drawings using GD&T practices.
- Experience working overseas with international supply chains and contract manufacturers.
- Fluency in Mandarin Chinese is a plus.
- Overseas and occasional domestic travel required (~25%).
- Finally, a positive attitude with a detailed, hands-on approach, and a desire to drive innovation and create extraordinary products.
You will drive automation activities (including machine vision and robotics) for key manufacturing processes in the module space, including Acoustics, Thermals, Power, and Batteries. - The SME will work with engineering teams to identify manufacturing steps requiring automation or improved automation capabilities, provide design for automation feedback, conceptualize required automation, assess associated design/schedule risk, provide new technology capability analysis, negotiate deliverables, and create proof of concept where necessary. - Partner with operations teams to evaluate capabilities of contract manufacturers to implement required automation, provide estimates on automation costs and capabilities, and assess manual to automated process conversion capability. - You will work with contract manufacturers to assess capabilities of automation integrators, create technical requirements/RFQ documentation, provide DFM feedback, and support integrator downselect activities. - Partner with integrators to drive design reviews, maintain and resolve issues lists, implement data logging and traceability requirements, review control logic and programming, and create qualification requirements for FAT/SAT. - Provide onsite technical support at FAT, SAT, development builds, production builds, and production ramp as needed to ensure equipment capability, availability, and productivity. - Coordinate above activities with overseas counterparts to push process capability, ensure accurate completion of deliverables, and identify/mitigate risk ahead of schedule. - Present detailed analysis to key decision makers to enable commercial and design decisions. - Drive cutting-edge research and development activities both in-house and with industry partners to enable step-change process capability improvements. - Maintain deep knowledge of equipment capabilities and key process drivers; keep abreast of the latest industrial developments and leverage new technologies in novel ways to enable improved capabilities; serve as domain expert (SME) for project teams.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in engineering (mechanical, manufacturing, automation, robotics, or equivalent)