Siri - Technical Writer, Siri Search
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Join the engineering team that invents, codes, and builds Siri, the amazing voice-assistant technology from Apple. As a technical editor, you will collaborate directly with writers and the wider group to build world-class documentation to facilitate and guide our engineering work.
- Outstanding writing, developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading skills; authoritative command of American English grammar and punctuation; command of The Chicago Manual of Style; and unstoppable attention to detail
- Exceptional creativity in communicating complex topics and procedures in approachable, engaging, and technically accurate ways
- Eagerness to mentor and work collaboratively with writers of all experience levels, throughout the editorial life cycle from project definition through publication and eventual doc retirement
- Proficiency with plaintext editorial workflows including Markdown, Git, and Bash or Zsh; close familiarity with software development processes; and demonstrated success in supporting a software engineering team’s doc needs
- Knowledge of trademark and copyright issues a plus
You will support a small docs team that facilitates technical knowledge-sharing with the goal of accelerating the evolution of Siri. Our deliverables—all of which you will participate in—include: - Documentation - Artwork and illustrations - Slide decks - Classes and workshops - Editorial guidelines - Glossaries and style guides Our team is driven by a strong information-architecture philosophy. We write and deploy our docs to be effective but also to be findable and maintainable. You will work closely with our Information Architect to help ensure these qualities in everything we produce. YOU WILL, AMONG OTHER ACTIVITIES: - Work with writers and with our Technical Illustrator to help create engaging, clear, and accurate technical documentation - Work with our Information Architect to develop and maintain subject taxonomies and metadata sets - Perform developmental edits and rewrites as necessary to improve a document’s overall structure, approach, tone, and effectiveness - Copyedit and proofread documents for accuracy, clarity, consistency, and style - Present talks, classes, and workshops on issues relevant to writing—thereby helping writers, engineers, and managers alike hone their communication skills Because the subject matter we write about is highly technical, you will have opportunities to learn about machine learning, continuous integration and deployment, natural language processing, software engineering, and other topics as they relate to your work. Any knowledge of these subjects that you bring to the job is a plus.
Education & Experience
Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in English, Instructional Design, Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Architecture, Juris Doctor (with emphasis on legal writing), or a related discipline Minimum of four years’ technical editing experience