Materials Engineer - Failure Analysis/Test
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and you will help to create the next generation of the world’s finest electronic devices. As a Product Design Materials Engineer within the Brittle Materials organization you will drive the rapid advancement of materials and processes that are the building blocks of our devices.
- 3+ years of experience with specialized test development. Successfully demonstrated the development of an original test and implementation in a manufacturing setting.
- Demonstrated excellence designing tests which are scaled to high volume manufacturing
- Capability to work with our FEA team to design reliability and quality control tests on geometries and products which are in the early design phase
- Familiarity with relevant material properties needed to design effective tests for materials that range from ceramics to polymers.
- Experience with basic materials analysis methods (SEM, EDS, etc)
- Experience with standard reliability testing
- Strong analytical / problem solving skills and ability to use statistical tools and techniques
- Strong mechanics background
- Hands on person
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills
- Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment with sometimes conflicting priorities
- Preferred Experience:
- 3+ years experience with fractography and failure analysis of glass, ceramics, or other brittle materials as well as experience with polymer coatings.
- Experience in brittle material component design, validation & production
- Experience with various glass composition and chemical strengthening processes
- Experience with high quality cosmetic parts and finishes
- This position will require international travel (20%+)
As a Product Design Materials Engineer within the Brittle Materials organization you will drive the rapid advancement of materials and processes that are the building blocks of our devices.
Education & Experience
BS Mechanical Engineering. MS/PhD preferred.