Engineering Program Manager - Infrastructure / SRE
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Apple Media Products (AMP) is an exciting environment and dynamic development organization. With customers in 155 countries, we are a fast-growing marketplace for music, movies, TV shows, books - and, of course, apps. We are seeking a seasoned Engineering / Technical Program Manager for our Service Reliability Engineering (SRE) group. We are responsible for service infrastructure that ensures our customers’ seamless experience. A successful program manager is one that thrives in a fast paced and complex environment. You will partner with the SRE team to define, prioritize, plan, and deliver the project portfolio of technical, infrastructure, and system needs that make Apple Apple. Our projects range from deploying end to end infrastructure environments, development of tools which help with the automation of infrastructure operations, decommissions, complex system changes, tech refreshes, data migrations, service outage remediation, as well as continually striving to scale and mature operations and operational methodologies. You are a teammate and an accountable self-starter with experience leading cross-functional projects. The successful candidate can mentor and marshal resources from a matrix functional group to get things done, and uses resources effectively and efficiently. The role requires the ability to clearly assign responsibility for tasks and decisions and to monitor process and progress to deliver results. Must be able to quickly grasp the essence of multiple new technical concepts, bringing clarity to ambiguity by clearly communicating and influencing stakeholders. The project manager must act as a business analyst on applicable domains, analyzing business needs and requirements, participating and representing as required in problem solving and design of engineering discussions. This is not a task-based job; you will be responsible for successful outcomes and delivery. Strong fundamentals are a requirement but you have to have more. You take responsibility; you feel a personal stake in the projects you deliver; you communicate responsibilities and scope clearly; you value integrity; you know how things work; you work for the success of the entire team; you thrive in uncertainty and strive to bring order to it; you have deep wisdom and judgement; you keep your eye on the ball; you build strong relationships; you are aware of politics but do not get mired in them; you are constantly looking to improve yourself and your team; you're prescient; and you ship products which millions of customers will use.
- Exceptional organizational, project management, and technical acumen.
- Prior engineering, infrastructure, or software development project management experience for Site Reliability Engineering / DevOps / Infrastructure domains
- Experience of managing Cloud and Infrastructure projects. Past experience with deployments to AWS / Kubernetes platforms would be a plus.
- Agile project experience with evidence and able to demonstrate knowledge. Preference would be given to candidates with SCRUM background and/or played the role of a Scrum Master.
- Experience at prioritizing features, and technical road maps
- Proficiency and experience in delivering large scale infrastructure projects
- Process re-engineering experience.
- Self-motivated and proactive with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to represent at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous end to end infrastructure, technical projects and stakeholder community comprising of various engineering teams and their partners
- Experience at end to end project delivery; building roadmaps through to operational sustainability.
- Strong facilitation skills (requirements sessions, design meetings, progress and status meetings)
Manage SRE-centric efforts across independent functional teams comprised of software development, systems engineering, network, tooling, monitoring, & capacity teams. - Persistently remove ambiguity and seek to reduce complexity to ensure clarity around project goals, expectations and timelines. - Develop a broad organizational perspective to facilitate strategic views around new projects and facilitate discussions focusing on prioritization of existing projects. - Create and maintain extensive work plans detailing complex technical projects in a fast moving engineering environment. - You will meet deadlines and meet financial, capacity and personnel constraints while successfully completing your projects on time! - Controlling and reporting progress to the Project Steering Group/Project Sponsor and calling out any issues, as appropriate, in a timely manner. Initiating corrective action where necessary in order to keep the project on track - Identify inter-dependencies between the various partner groups to ensure all are aligned and risks are identified, mitigated and communicated
Education & Experience
BS/BA Degree and/or MBA preferred