Senior Engineering Manager - ML & Algorithms
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to build products that enrich people’s lives! Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Today, our technology and services power advertising in Search Ads in the App Store and Apple News. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy! We are looking for an exceptional senior machine learning (ML) manager who can thrive in a fast-paced environment. You will lead the development, implementation, and deployment of new advertising algorithms and supporting capabilities. The position requires a keen understanding of the ad network behavior; detecting meaningful data patterns; assuring the integrity and breadth of the data; measuring user, campaign and app performance; and finally analyzing the results of extremely large-scale experiments. In particular, this position focuses on making sure our advertising is meaningful and relevant by improving, and developing new relevance and tap prediction models across search and contextual placements.
- 8-10+ years experience in software development, data science, and/or machine learning applications
- 4+ years experience leading data science development teams
- Demonstrated track record of fostering a constructive, collaborative, and rigorous team culture
- Exceptional communicator, and are comfortable and effective working with senior business stakeholders and product management
- Outstanding experience in the application of advanced statistical methods and working with large, complex data sets
- Proven ability to lead multiple, simultaneous projects, and can succeed with cross-functional teams
- Ability to lead investigations into multiple dimensions of ads quality and system performance, and draw conclusions from data, recommend actions, and develop a roadmap of experiments to improve the system
- Deep, practical understanding of modern machine learning and its components
- Familiar with state of the art practice of data science, preferably in advertising applications, and can lead the application of research to step-change improvements in our capabilities
- Deep expertise in some of the following domains: Algorithms, Systems Architecture, Artificial Intelligence, Database Systems, Data Mining, Distributed Systems, Machine Learning, Networking, Statistics, Game Theory, Auction Design, or other experience with rigorous Quantitative Analysis or Systems Software implementation
- Enjoy working closely with operational teams on deployment, monitoring, and management concerns
- Enjoy actively managing the performance of the team reporting to you and value mentoring top talent
At Ad Platforms, we are constantly improving our algorithms to provide amazing user experiences and drive value for publishers and developers. IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL: Identify opportunities for improvement in our platform, develop and extend a roadmap of investments, and lead the development of data products that drive value for our advertisers. Lead a team of world class machine learning and data science professionals that invent, designs, and implement new algorithms using cutting edge machine learning and data science approaches. Design and implement experimentation strategies to understand the impact of new models, work with cross functional teams to prototype new concepts, and deliver end-to-end systems in an agile setting. Work with colleagues on a shared code base, sharing and contributing in a highly collaborative environment. Curate and actively contribute to the larger organization’s culture and processes, working with your peers to create an incredible experience for our teams that attracts world class talent. Contribute to our overall algorithms strategy and be a strong voice in how we grow.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD or equivalent experience in computer science or related field with 4+ years experience in managing data science teams.