Machine Shop Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Inspire a team of prototyping machinists to manufacture high quality parts, in a safe manner while achieving team performance goals. The goals will include Quality, Safety, Capacity Utilization, and Lead Time.
- Hire, train, develop, and motivate prototyping machinists to meet high quality standards and lead time goals while achieving customer requirements
- Lead cell workflow; including technical, personnel and process related activities
- Conduct regularly scheduled 1:1s with team and monthly cell meetings to enhance communication and team brainstorming
- Document and report any variances, problems, issues, or concerns
- Provide personnel with expectations and performance feedback minimum of quarterly intervals
- Write and conduct formal annual performance evaluations for all direct reporting personnel
- Plan, lead, drive improvement, and report on cell performance; including output, quality, root cause failures, equipment and personnel performance
- Assist in setting and attaining annual shop and cell level goals
- Learn and carry out shop safety policies and practices
- Organize and conduct team building activities to promote camaraderie, motivation and cell relief from the work load
- Lead or support various continuous improvement projects at the cell level or shop level
- Support and perform evaluation of designs for manufacturability.
- Develop talent for your succession and to support out of office team management
- Demonstrate capabilities to plan, budget and run projects for new capital equipment quoting and installation
- Experience with Machining (Mill, Lathe, EDM Sinker, EDM Wire) strongly preferred. - Knowledge of CAD/CAM software such as NX, Cimatron, Esprit, Hypermill strongly preferred - Knowledge of Laser prototyping capabilities and options is beneficial - Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing beneficial but not required - Proficient in the use of personal computers to perform daily work - Superb communication skills, including written and verbal instruction - Strong experience in handling change with teams - The ideal candidate will have a love for a fast-paced and multi-focused work environment.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree Manufacturing Operations, or related fields or five years of either supervisory or engineering experience. Experience in prototyping is helpful but not required.