Mechanical Design Engineer - SoftGoods
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We are looking for a highly motivated development engineer. You will be part of a cross-functional design team responsible for conceiving, designing and producing exciting new products. The Development Engineering team is responsible for bringing concepts to reality thru prototyping and model making. The prototypes we create are fabricated using a variety of tools and customized machinery, resulting in products that are often indistinguishable from ones that were mass produced. You will work closely with many different groups including Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, Operations, Packaging, and Reliability. Our team is responsible for products in the following categories: iPhone cases, iPad accessories, Watch bands, and Audio products, as well as supporting other teams at Apple that wish to use soft goods materials in their designs. This role will require travel to our global supply base.
- 3D and 2D CAD skills (NX, Solidworks or ProE/Creo preferred)
- At least 3 years of experience designing and developing consumers goods products utilizing a variety of soft and hard materials (textiles, leather, foams, metals, plastics)
- Machinery operation (Mill, lathe, laser cutter, 3D printer, etc.)
- Designer and maker
- Strong presentation skills (Keynote or Powerpoint)
Apple’s Softgoods Engineering team is relatively new to Apple. We work with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enhance Apple’s existing product lines and to enable new technologies. Delivering extraordinary Apple products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open-minded approach. We have a hardworking team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We work together in an alluring, customized lab where we design, engineer and develop the best products in the world. As a member of our reciprocal, cross-functional design team, you will be responsible for conceiving, designing and producing exciting new products. As a team, we are responsible for creating Softgoods products in new product categories. In some instances we travel to our suppliers, but it is very minimal, and usually planned in advance.
Education & Experience
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial or Product Design (MS preferred) - 2+ years of experience is preferred.
- - Knowledge of soft goods materials (textiles, films, synthetics, leather, adhesives, etc.)
- - Knowledge of soft goods assembly process (bonding, cutting, stitching, welding, etc.)
- - Understanding of high volume mass production environments