Advanced Manufacturing Engineer - Machine Vision
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
- Extensive work experience in developing machine vision applications for precision assembly, inspection, and automation equipment
- Comprehensive hands-on experience with machine vision system design, including camera selection, lenses, optics, lighting, and hardware for image capture and processing.
- Expertise with vision application design, programming, and development using industrial vision systems such as Cognex, Keyence, Omron, DVT, Matrox Imaging, etc.
- Deep understanding and practical experience with system qualification including; setup, calibration, correlation, capability (Cpk), repeatability and reproducibility (GRR)
- Strong mathematical and statistical background and ability to understand and explain the theory behind the algorithms being used
- 10+ years in an engineering role with 5 years of experience in Machine Vision systems for automation equipment used for assembly and/or inspection/measurement of components.
• We design vision system solutions for precision assembly and inspection processes for Apple products! • Develop vision applications including 2D and 3D inspection, AI/deep learning, system setup and calibration, and machine motion guidance. • Program vision application solutions using common programming languages such as VB, C++, C#. • Develop machine vision solutions for detection and equipment predictive maintenance. • Perform the research and development on new technologies to tackle challenges that have direct impact on the quality and delivery of Apple products. • Develop new and/or improved processes through the application of theoretical and practical engineering. • Provide direction and mentorship to third party machine/automation suppliers and/or manufacturing partners; be the technical leader and driver on owned projects; serve as a technical resource to other engineering groups and project leaders. • Organize multi-functional reviews of requirements for design, qualification, and capability. • Build Request for Quotation/Proposal (RFQ/RFP) that documents the design requirements, delivery schedule, required documentation, and qualification for acceptance at machine supplier facility and contract manufacturer’s factory. • Engage machine suppliers for design and proposal reviews. • Travel to the machine supplier and contract manufacturer for equipment bring-up, qualification, acceptance testing, and development support during pilot production build events. • Assist equipment engineers with machine qualification including correlation, process capability (CP/CPK), and Gage Repeatability / Reproducibility (GR&R). • Design and run equipment experiments to bound the capability and the process • Assist with data analysis reports to communicate machine capability to the multi-functional teams. • Ability to travel internationally up to 40%. Performs assignments in the following vision engineering functions: Design for Manufacturability - Provide early and ongoing manufacturing involvement to ensure new product designs enable the required vision processes. Product Engineering - Work all phases of a product from concept to repeat manufacturing to end of life. Provide production support engineering for testing methods, procedures and failure analysis. Failure/Data Analysis - Plan, develop, and implement procedures for the testing and evaluation of soon to be released products. Specifies tests to be performed, compile data and make recommendations for product design changes and final assembly standards. This will include the use of Design of Experiments (DOE) and statistical analysis using Six Sigma principles.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Engineering
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.