Software Performance Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
Be a part of the most exciting products in the market today—the revolutionary iPhone, the magical iPad, the Apple Watch, and more. Our team builds solutions centered around apps, services, tools, and systems that help Apple engineering teams worldwide realize the vision of the products they invent. We invite you to be part of this phenomenon!
- 5+ years of experience in a professional software engineering position
- Excellent knowledge of computer system organization and architecture at the high level
- In-depth knowledge of software system architecture, including front tier, mid-tier, messaging tier, back-end tier, etc.
- Practical knowledge and experience with Linux, macOS, file systems, environmental utilities, etc.
- Exposure to large scale software development lifecycle, e.g., collaborating among multiple teams, including Devs, QA, DevOps, Performance, etc.
- Performance engineering experience in large-scale software products, including requirements capturing, analysis, scripting, workload construction, test execution, results analysis, environment trouble-shooting, performance optimization/. tuning, CPU/memory profiling, etc.
- System resource utilization monitoring and bottleneck identification, such as CPU, memory, I/O, etc.
- Programming with Python, Java, SQL, etc.
- Excellent communication skills both internal and external
- Deliverable conscious, self-initiated, dependable and trustworthy
- Experience with source control technologies like Git
- Experience with non-relational storage solutions such as Cassandra and Solr
- Experience with messaging systems such as Kafka, Rabbit MQ
- Some rudimentary exposure to machine learning
This hands-on role demands the best and brightest; the ideal candidate will be well rounded and offer a diverse skillset that aligns with the key qualifications listed above. Our team’s focus areas include Device Services; responsible for activating every iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, iPod, and HomePod worldwide, and Radar; Apple’s birth-to-death ecosystem for managing product and feature planning, testing, and defects. This is a highly cross-functional role; we interact closely with technical and business teams all across Apple including Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Internet Services, AppleCare, Operations, Legal, Apple Retail, Made for iPhone, as well as wireless carriers and other third party partners. Day to day responsibilities will include: • Continual interaction with engineering, infrastructure, site reliability, project management, and partner technical and business teams to develop engineering specifications • Understand the various components and drive the setup of performance environment. • Work with team members to drive and develop performance and load test plans/test cases • Establishing and evolving tools, processes and standards for performance and load testing • Creating performance regression suites and estimating efforts for coordinating and execution of tests • Identification and documentation of defects, and work with stakeholders to prioritize resolution. • Work with stakeholders to define and continually assess metrics that track product quality • Constantly monitor the health of our production servers and provide recommendations as necessary. Think you’re a fit? We’d like to hear from you!
Education & Experience
BS in engineering, computer science or other technical disciplines plus 5 years of related experience