Optical Sensing HW - Sensing HW Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Design, develop, and launch next-generation Sensor Technologies in Apple products. The Sensor Hardware team develops sensor solutions and technologies for Apple’s products, including the iPhone, iPad, MacBooks, Apple Watch, and more. The key goal of the Sensor Technology team is to enable the world’s best user-experience. New challenges arise every single day that require the sharp analytical skills of talented and smart individuals. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that cultivates engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. We are looking for Optical Hardware Development Engineers with a strong background in both optical modelling and experiments to help develop new sensors and sensing systems for future Apple products.
- - Multi-disciplinary understanding of optics, general Physics principles and basic EE concepts.
- - Proven experience in modelling complex cross-disciplinary systems
- - Ability to effectively combine modelling and experimentation to drive key system design decisions
- - Proficiency with numerical simulation software: Matlab, Python, Zemax, LightTools, etc.
- - Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and proven collaboration and leadership skills
- - Industry experience in miniaturized optical systems is preferred, but not a hard requirement.
- Investigate feasibility of new sensors and sensing approaches - Use optical modelling tools and experiments to design miniaturized optical components and systems. - Develop and accurately predict performance of complex miniaturized optical systems; follow through between simulations and measurements - Feature definition, block-level simulation, and spec authorship of sensor modules - Building, maintaining, and documenting a thorough end-to-end understanding of optical sensing system - Analyze engineering and production data sets in order to reconcile system model - Work alongside firmware team to develop advanced algorithms to ensure module performance - Work closely with mechanical and process engineering teams in optimizing trade-offs between manufacturability, reliability and performance - Author regular technical communication for executive and multi-functional briefings
Education & Experience
M.S/Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Optics or Physics. Ph.D. preferred.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.