Instructional Designer, Coding
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
For 40 years, Apple has helped teachers unleash the creative potential in every student. And today, we do that in more ways than ever. Not only with powerful products, but also with tools, inspiration, and curricula to help create magical learning experiences. The Education Marketing team is looking for an Instructional Designer who, like us, is passionate about K12 education and helping teachers ignite creativity in the classroom. We believe coding isn’t extra-curricular — it’s part of the core curriculum. Seeing an idea unfold in real life is a powerful way to learn. We created the comprehensive Everyone Can Code curriculum with lessons on iPad and Mac, teacher guides, and apps to make it easy to teach coding in the classroom. Students can create programs to make robots walk and control flying drones. And they can develop iOS apps that can sit right alongside the pros on the App Store. Exciting, right? Join us to bring a hands-on approach at showing students how coding concepts and engineering take shape in the physical world and on the devices they use every day.
- Strong knowledge of computer science and coding, especially Swift.
- 5+ years experience in designing and developing education materials, preferably focusing on coding/computer science/developer education and project based learning.
- 5+ years of K12 teaching and/or training experience.
- Passion for writing simple, concise, elegant code and prose.
- Project-management skills with superb attention to detail and deadlines.
- Knowledge of educational technology (Apple and other) and ability to master new technologies quickly.
- Strong writing and communications skills as well as excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Strategic thinker who can be resourceful, creative, and committed to results.
- Experience with K12 professional development and teacher training is preferred.
- Some experience in industry developing iOS apps is preferred.
In this role you will be responsible for building learning materials focused around coding and computer science for Apple's programs for teaching code. You have passion for creating simple and elegant learning experiences using technology to improve engagement and outcomes. You have a strong background in technology-based instructional materials and you also bring expertise in needs analysis, developing lessons and courses, and in leading multiple projects. You will partner closely with Curriculum Developers and with other teams at Apple to ensure a consistent and global voice around Apple's teaching and learning story, so tight-knit collaboration and communication skills are essential. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: - Design and develop learning materials covering Swift and Apple frameworks including lesson and activity writing and sample code projects that teach iOS app development with Swift and other computer science and coding topics. - Define and build teacher support materials and assessments for CS and coding instruction, and assist in training teachers directly. - Apply high-quality instructional design theory and practices that result in highly effective learning experiences. - Collaborate with other subject matter experts and curriculum developers to ensure that format and delivery support the learning needs of a wide audience. - Respond to feedback on the curriculum and assist in engaging the CS teacher community in the materials. - Manage workflows from curriculum development to production. - Understand computer science teaching theory and practice. - Help identify and manage resources and vendors needed for project completion. - Deliver multiple development projects from inception to completion.
Education & Experience
BA in Education or BS in Computer Science or equivalent. Advanced degree in education, instructional design, and/or computer science is preferred.