Senior Precision Molding Engineer - Panel, Process & Optics (PPO)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is looking for an elite senior molding engineer who can help build next generation displays and visual systems. You will work with both suppliers and internal teams at Apple to develop optical systems for new display technologies for future Apple products. You will not only need to be an excellent engineer, but also educate a broad audience of people at Apple about the benefits and tradeoffs of different precision optics manufacturing technologies. This position is focused on new molding process development for high-precision optics for future Apple products, from prototype to production. You will work with a diverse engineering roster that includes optical engineers, human perception authorities, product design engineers, and experimental physicists. We work at a fast pace and require everyone to be highly self motivated. A successful candidate needs to be a flexible thinker and be able to problem solve outside of their respective technical area. This is an outstanding opportunity to join Apple and innovate industry-leading optical manufacturing techniques to enable future Apple products!
- Engineering background in precision optical manufacturing including injection molding of precision objects
- Ability to work in SolidWorks and MoldFlow or MoldEx
- Knowledge of optical grade materials (plastics, glass, etc)
- Experience managing domestic and international vendors
- Capable of prototyping, conducting design of experiments, and analytical data processing.
- Strong communication skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Ownership of manufacturing process development for high-precision lenses and optical components, including glass and plastic optics and opto-mechanical assemblies - Work with internal Apple teams and external suppliers to develop enabling technologies for complex precision optical components - Build compelling prototypes that demonstrate the new technologies developed within the team - Shepard new optical technologies into both external supplier and internal product roadmaps - Work with suppliers and support engineering build activities including travel to manufacturing sites, performance validation measurements, and failure analysis coordination. - Diagnose engineering issues with true scientific method, working towards definitive root cause, in close collaboration with multi-functional team members. - Develop simulation techniques to enable predictive modeling of molding process, and predict as-molded performance of precision optical components - Prepare and deliver executive presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies.
Education & Experience
MS or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Opto-mechanical Engineering, or Optical Sciences, with 4+ years of experience in a related field.
- - Experience in lens manufacturing and process development
- - Basic knowledge in mold tool design
- - Basic knowledge of geometrical optics and polarization optics
- - Basic knowledge of metrology techniques used for characterization and quality-control of optical components such as lenses
- - Experience in doing compensation for improved molding accuracy