Site Reliability Engineer (GoLang, Java, Puppet, core Linux), Shazam
San Diego, California, United States
Software and Services
Hundreds of millions of users. Billions of Shazams. Countless moments of discovery. Shazam brings a unique brand of magic to millions every day. Bring us your vision, and it’ll be you creating the wow moments that excite people across the world! We’re looking for a strong engineer to join our team to lead advancements to the next level of reliability, scalability, and performance for the core services that Shazam provides to its users. You’ll work alongside development teams to continue to evangelize best practices and improve the systems that power Shazam.
- 4+ years experience designing and operating reliable distributed systems at scale in a cloud environment
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally to define and implement best practices and standards; leading through influence
- Deep understanding of one or more of the following programming languages: Golang, Java, C++, and/or Python
- Experience with systems automation and configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Strong understanding of CI/CD processes, technologies and methodologies
- Strong working knowledge of TCP/IP and network technologies
- Expert-level understanding of core Linux/UNIX operating system fundamentals
Shazam Site Reliability Engineers are not just responsible for making sure all of the services and systems that Shazam relies on are operating at their highest level; they’re also responsible for helping development teams embrace these principles as they develop software. Shazam SREs embed themselves with development teams and act as extensions of those teams to propagate best practices. They think about distributed systems and help development teams that are focused on individual parts of it to have a bigger picture than they would if they weren’t involved. We believe that software engineers who own their code in production will write much more scalable, supportable systems. Shazam SREs exist to help those teams build the competencies to be able to do that. This role sits in our San Diego office reporting to our Head of SRE in London. The successful candidate will be working locally in San Diego with the teams that build our web properties (e.g. www.shazam.com (http://www.shazam.com/)) and our core music recognition service to build scalable and reliable software in line with Shazam’s best practices.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.