Battery Manufacturing Test Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming outstanding products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of Battery Management Systems where you will help to develop and manufacture future BMS technologies with a hardworking team of engineers in a highly reciprocal and multi-functional environment. The ideal candidate has a background in high-volume manufacturing test development for consumer electronic assemblies.
- More than 3 years of experience developing electronics or manufacturing test equipment for mass production products with an understanding of testing techniques needed to test mixed signal (analog and digital) modules such as battery packs.
- Experience working with engineering teams to develop manufacturing test specifications from design specifications and implementing them in a production environment,
- Experience in crafting and supporting high volume data collection from mixed signal systems in a manufacturing environment to identify, measure and present critical metrics needed by the engineering and R&D teams. Emphasis on understanding, directing and monitoring calibration standards across all manufacturing data collection points.
- Experience with printed circuit board assembly design and manufacture including board layout, materials selection and SMT,
- Experience working with CM vendors at sites globally to drive Apple’s standard methodologies to the manufacturing floor,
- Familiarity desired with BMS core technologies and its interactions/dependencies between algorithms, cell chemistry, embedded processor, control systems, custom IC requirement specifications, HW, SW, FW, and telemetry to identify needed testing metrics and accuracies
- Strong aptitude towards detailed and rigorous work emphasizing on simple and elegant designs for mass production. Self-starter with excellent time management skills and forward-thinking spirit. Relies on data to support technical decisions.
The manufacturing group within the BMS organization is a critical and highly reciprocal team that drives existing and future manufacturing technologies and processes supporting the development through high volume manufacturing of battery packs for Apple’s extraordinary devices. As a member of the manufacturing group you will engage in 1. Developing and controlling manufacturing processes from SMT through introduction of packs into host systems including electrical test system design and specification, test systems SW development and data collection, 2. Developing and implementing manufacturing test specifications derived from design specifications developed by Apple’s battery management systems team, 3. Ensuring manufacturing equipment meets design intent with early engagement with the BMS team’s design, R&D and NPI teams to identify manufacturing trends and needed future manufacturing capabilities, 4. Developing and supporting elite manufacturing sites at our vendors to manufacture and test battery pack components including printed circuit boards, PCB assemblies and battery packs focusing on continuous improvements, 5. Developing and supporting vendor processes related to manufacturing including qualification testing and failure analysis, 6. Leading electronic testing specifications and ensuring complete test coverage of needed product specifications utilizing data-driven methods and specification analysis to ensure products are produced within specification, 7. Ensuring data quality and collection with real-time data available to New Product Introduction and R&D engineering teams globally, 8. Develop support strategies for downstream teams that install battery packs into host systems including out-going and in-coming quality data capture, process and troubleshooting onsite, 9. Supporting vendor compliance initiatives to ensure vendors are compliant to all Apple manufacturing directives including environmental controls, total quality control, and manufacturing specifications, 10. Establishing strong, structured and consistent FA processes at vendor sites to provide structured analysis and data from ORT (ongoing reliability), NPI and field returns to drive continuous improvements into manufacturing processes, NPI engineering, R&D and operations. Electronic manufacturing engineers needs to provide the leadership to build and continuously improve world-class manufacturing processes and data collection to support the battery management system team’s mission to produce high volume battery systems under tightly controlled manufacturing processes.
Education & Experience
BSEE / MSEE Preferred
- Travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities expected ~25%