Senior Manager - ML Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every single day to build products that enrich people’s lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and visionary content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in App Store. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. We are looking for an outstanding senior leader who can thrive in a fast-paced environment, leading our development efforts to deliver advanced algorithms to an ad network. Working closely with data scientists, you will lead extraordinary machine learning engineers to design, develop, and implement solutions, including leveraging open-source, and building tools, frameworks, and components. Components can range from core storage and processing capabilities for mission-critical pipelines, to exploratory analysis tools, model development and training infrastructure, to online inference architectures that react to real-time signals. The successful candidate will help drive new approaches to preserving the privacy of our consumers, and change the way advertising works with data.
- You are a clear and effective communicator, and enjoy collaborative problem solving
- You enjoy working on a shared codebase that supports web-scale, mission critical applications.
- You understand the relationship between offline ML development environments and online, ML driven applications at scale, from exploratory analysis to low latency online serving
- You are deeply familiar with A/B and other online testing applications, and the implementation of testing capabilities in web-scale applications
- You have an extraordinary understanding of modern data engineering approaches, stay on top of developments, and are aware of what leading players are doing
- You are results-oriented and have proven experience leading teams that implement and extend highly performant, resilient, reliable, and understandable data processing pipelines
- You have deep experience with Spark, Hadoop, HIVE, Kafka, Cassandra or other distributed systems
- You have extensive expertise in Python, Java, Scala, SQL, and/or other relevant languages and frameworks
- You have exceptional experience working in cloud environments and are familiar with object stores, inference engines, and other common cloud-native data storage and processing frameworks
- You have worked in CI/CD environments, understand supporting technologies and best-practices
- You understand statistics and are capable of using data analysis techniques to understand data quality, profile system loads, understand the relationships between business metrics, and technical metrics
- You have experience working closely with operational teams on deployment, monitoring, and technology management concerns
You will lead the team that defines, refines, and/or refactors our approaches, designs, and architectures to meet the ad network challenges we must solve. You will mentor a team of world-class machine learning engineers hungry to apply leading-edge technologies to deliver extraordinary experiences to our customers. You will play a critical leadership role building products which deliver on Apple's privacy commitments. You will work on a platform with extreme scale requirements. At Ad Platforms, we are constantly developing products to provide amazing user experiences and drive value. You will have the chance to lead the design and implementations of the engineering solutions that bring cutting edge ad network algorithms into production in heterogeneous environments. You will apply groundbreaking data engineering techniques, platform engineering approaches, and algorithmic solutions. You will join and contribute to a culture that emphasizes understandability, reliability, resiliency, simplicity, reusability, extensibility, scalability, and productivity. We are one team, nurturing each other’s growth and supporting each other in delivering for our customers and Apple.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Distributed Systems, Software Engineering, or related field; and experience designing, building, maintaining, and extending web-scale production systems.