RFIC Design Manager
San Diego, California, United States
Would you like to join Apple’s growing wireless silicon development team? Our wireless SOC organization is responsible for all aspects of wireless silicon development with a particular emphasis on highly energy efficient design and new technologies that transform the user experience at the product level, all of which is driven by a world-class vertically integrated engineering team spanning RF/Analog architecture and design, Systems/PHY/MAC architecture and design, VLSI/RTL design and integration, Emulation, Design Verification, Test and Validation, and FW/SW engineering. In this highly visible role, you will be at the center of a silicon design group with a critical impact on getting functional wireless products to hundreds of millions of customers quickly.
- We want you to have 15+ years of RF/analog and mixed-signal design experience, with 7+ years management experience in cutting-edge RF CMOS design.
- - Direct experience designing and bringing into mass production ZIF RF transceivers in deep sub-micron RFCMOS technology. This includes design of on-chip LNAs and PAs, PLL/VCO/LO blocks, up-conversion/down-conversion mixers, baseband filters, data converters and calibration methods associated with such high performance wireless systems and ZIF designs. Experience should also include understanding of DFT and DFM techniques for mass production environment.
- - Extensive knowledge of all or many of the following fields:
- 1. Deep understanding in system specification and ability to work with system architects to translate system requirement into circuit requirement at IC level; strong understanding of impact of modulation type to radio architecture and requirements.
- 2. Familiarity with various RF transceiver architectures and their trade-offs; demonstrated capability to work with digital design group for an optimum partition between digital and analog domain.
- 3. Deep understanding of RF CMOS implementation fundamentals, and basic building blocks, including LNAs, mixers, VCOs and DCOs, LO and PAs.
- 4. Deep understanding of RF device modeling, including but not limited to device noise parameters, inductor modeling. Insights into packaging effects, supply isolation, high frequency ESD structures, and circuit layout techniques for optimum RF performance.
- 5. Strong knowledge of desense and able to work closely with board RF/HW/Antenna teams to optimize board/module layouts for desense mitigation. Also, has experience with desense mitigation with integrated PMUs/DSPs (i.e. substrate isolation, return loops, package isolation, frequency planning, etc).
- 6. Familiarity with mix signal mode verification methodology (SystemVerilog, AMS, Nanotime).
- 7. Familiarity with EM tools (EMX, HFSS).
- 8. Extensive experience in Si characterization and debug.
- 9. Ability to drive strong production test/QA methodologies.
- 10. Extensive experience in IP sourcing and management.
As a Senior RFIC Design lead, you are going to be responsible for providing RFIC solutions for wireless SoC and driving them to mass production for Apple products. Responsibilities include: - Work with cross-functional teams including platform architecture, wireless design, SW to define radio features enabling wireless innovation - Work with technology team on process selection for the target device - Lead design of radio transceiver blocks and transceiver integration - Drive radio KPI (power, area, performance) to meet product requirements - Work with SoC integration teams to integrate radio transceiver and mixed-signal IPs into wireless SoC - Drive and enhance RFIC design methodology (system-level mixed-signal verification, RF chip/package/board de-sense) to achieve first-pass silicon success - Perform detailed radio bring-up/characterization and work with systems integration/test to solve issues and optimize wireless system performance - Work with product/test engineering teams to implement low-cost RF ATE - Consult on RF/analog issues across Apple
Education & Experience
BSEE is required. MSEE/PhD is preferred.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.