Internationalization Software Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Keyboard & Internationalization team’s mission is to design and build a fantastic user experience for Apple customers worldwide, on iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. We are looking for a talented software engineer who is passionate about languages and cultures — someone who is driven to create solutions for customers in a wide variety of languages and countries around the world.
- Strong programming skills, preferably with Objective-C, C and C++
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work with large code bases, fast-paced environments, and tight schedules
- User interface programming experience
- Passion and enthusiasm to improve Apple’s products
The Keyboard & Internationalization team’s mission is to make Apple’s products accessible to customers using many different languages. We work at the framework-level with projects like Cocoa Foundation and ICU (icu-project.org (http://icu-project.org)) to help developers on Apple’s platforms provide a fully internationalized user experience. These frameworks are used to internationalize all of Apple’s major platforms including iOS, OS X, watchOS and tvOS. The team also works on text input solutions for many different languages including Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Hebrew, Thai, Vietnamese, Hindi, Tamil, and many more, on all of Apple’s software platforms. We design text input solutions that meet the specific needs of each language, such as unique 10 Key keyboards for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, transliteration-based keyboards for Hindi and Tamil, Handwriting-based input, and much more. Apple is known for its unique integration of hardware and software, and the Keyboard & Internationalization Team is an integral part of that. We work closely with the design, hardware, and localization teams to deliver a great Apple experience across many different languages on Apple’s new and exciting hardware products.
Education & Experience
Bachelors or above degree in an engineering related discipline, or equivalent related experience.
- - Familiarity with Asian languages and scripts, such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Hindi, etc.
- - Fluency in one or more languages other than English
- - Familiarity with Unicode and text encoding
- - Familiarity with fonts and complex script rendering