Legal Counsel, Wallet, Payments & Commerce
Austin, Texas, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Do you love taking on big challenges without precedent? Do you possess a deep knowledge of the legal field and a passion for innovation? As a part of our Legal group, you’ll help uphold Apple’s high ethical and corporate standards, as well as defend our intellectual property. You’ll help provide legal support for all our products and businesses across the globe. Working for a company that invents entire categories and industries means you’ll be challenged to creatively apply your deep legal expertise to rare and often unexplored aspects of the law. Together with your team, you’ll provide the critical support needed worldwide for all Apple products and businesses. Apple is looking for an experienced payments attorney to join our team and help shape Apple Pay’s expanding payments platform. In this role, you will provide legal support for Apple Pay’s financial-services related initiatives—with a primary focus on overseeing and supporting Apple Payments Inc., our licensed money transmitter.
- Knowledge and understanding of the legal and regulatory landscape in the U.S. applicable to payments and non-bank financial service providers—and in particular, state money transmission statutes and the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Demonstrated experience interacting with financial regulators and examiners—preferably state banking departments. Experience preparing for and participating in regulatory exams is a plus.
- Experience maintaining money transmission licenses, including applying for and renewing licenses, handling, gathering, and updating sensitive corporate information, and submitting monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting to regulators.
- Experience providing product counseling advice for payment products and services, including P2P payments, stored value / prepaid access, and white-labeled financial services.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements for regulated financial services—either directly or through partnerships with issuing banks—is a plus.
- Strong communication, organization, and project management skills are essential.
- An ability to work in a collaborative, cross-functional way and independently prioritize and drive multiple initiatives forward at once.
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
This person would be able to draw upon their knowledge and understanding of the legal and regulatory landscape in the U.S. applicable to payments and non-bank financial service providers to manage the legal and regulatory requirements applicable to Apple Payments Inc.—and to streamline the impact of those requirements on our products and services in way that supports future growth, development, and innovation. In doing so, this person would be responsible for maintaining Apple Payments’ money transmitter licenses, serving as the primary point of contact for—and cultivating strong, working relationships with—Apple Payments’ regulators, coordinating with the external supervision and examination of Apple Payments’ activities, and liaising and partnering with other cross-functional teams (including compliance, finance, and operations) to facilitate Apple Payments’ day-to-day operations. In addition, this person would be interested in and able to offer legal support for new product initiatives related to financial services, including providing product counseling and commercial legal support. This person must be able to work well in a cross-functional environment as part of close-knit product team, while also working with remote teams in the US and around the world.
Education & Experience
Law degree from a top-tier law school and excellent academic credentials