Lead Cellular 4G/5G Physical Layer Firmware Verification Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of a world class modem team, you’ll craft sophisticated leading-edge embedded firmware that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new wireless systems technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. Do you want to have an impact on every single Apple product? As a Lead Cellular 5G/4G Physical Layer Firmware Validation Engineer, you will be at the center of the embedded 5G/4G/multimode cellular firmware effort within a silicon design group responsible for designing and productizing state-of-the-art cellular SoCs. This position requires someone comfortable will all aspects of embedded firmware verification, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- In-depth understanding of 5G and 4G 3GPP physical layer and protocol
- Experience with test case planning, design, and development for the 4G/5G physical layer
- Strong leadership experience leading a team or group of teams in the cellular modem space
- Strong understanding of automation tools and scripting languages such as Python
- Strong working knowledge of multiple 4G/5G signaling and physical layer test equipment (Keysight/Anritsu/R&S) along with their automation interfaces
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles, and core computer science fundamentals
- Fundamental facility with build and source code control tools
- Some mainstream OS application level development and Python/Java or Perl scripting experience
- Versatile to learn new architecture and frameworks
- Previous experience with network emulators
- Experience with silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms a plus.
• Lead a team of component validation, integration, and protocol test engineers. • Design and develop validation frameworks for the 4G/5G physical layer. • Design, develop, and execute test cases for the 4G/5G physical layer. • Verify key protocol, signal processing and numerical algorithms with very tight time, latency and energy budgets. • Work with Hardware/Firmware teams to perform validation of new and existing features. • Assist in the development of pre-silicon emulation systems/virtual platforms and use them for pre-silicon FW design and HW verification. • Evaluate and implement leading edge tools for build, formal verification and test. • Define methodologies and best practices.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or computer science is required.