Kubernetes Application Engineer
Seattle, Washington, United States
Software and Services
Join us on the journey towards building the data science platform for Apple. Working alongside with some of the best data scientists and engineers in the industry, we are developing processes, infrastructure and software to simplify and optimize their workflow. If you are thrilled by challenges, here is your opportunity to tackle a few at Apple scale. It is fun when petabyte is 'small data' and when every small task you accomplish can improve the experience for millions of customers.
- Highly experienced with building cloud services and distributed systems (AWS, Kubernetes, etc.) and cloud service orchestration (API- based control plane).
- Experience designing and developing scalable distributed systems with Kubernetes for production use in container-orchestration systems for automating application deployment, scaling, and management.
- Experience in extending Kubernetes with controllers, web hooks and CRDs.
- Up-to-date with the latest features in Kubernetes and activity in the Kubernetes community.
- Experience with high-availability operations management, including deployment automation and rollback strategies.
- Mastery of containerization with Docker.
- Go proficiency with a track record of designing and developing highly scalable web API-based request processing systems.
- Strong programming skills in Python, Bash.
- Good working knowledge of network security and secure coding fundamentals.
- Experience with modern software delivery practices, including source control, testing, continuous delivery, continuous integration.
- Passionate about delivering great customer experiences.
- Excellent analytical skills, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills on both technical and non-technical topic.
- Enthusiasm for new technologies and growth.
- Proven ability to learn quickly.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Passionate about engineering for performance and quality.
- Strong teamwork in a diverse team, leadership, and time management skills; passion for leading, mentoring and developing team members.
- Ability to manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Willingness to impact beyond defined role.
We are looking for an experienced Kubernetes Application Engineer to join the team developing data science systems and tooling used internally at Apple. The ideal candidate is a polyglot developer with solid experience in cloud engineering for data applications, savors tech challenges and thrives on delivering customer value and satisfaction. The position will drive our groups to the next level and you will be core to our mission in delivering impactful data products. In this role, you will directly shape the future of the organization’s cloud journey as our team is an early adopter of new technologies in the cloud. You will actively participate and practice in an open, highly collaborative environment.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree / PhD in computer science or equivalent.
- Experience with data & analytics product development.
- Experience using cloud technologies to solve problems in Big Data for data science and Machine Learning.
- Scale through automation and evolve systems by pushing change that improves reliability and velocity.
- Lead in design and specifications, program logic and flow-charting, development, testing, documentation, and support.
- Devise and plan projects with an operations forward mindset. This includes designing and building applications with fault tolerance, extensive logging, monitoring, and automated alerting to ensure high availability and resiliency.
- Works on complex data & analytics-centric problems that require in depth analysis and judgment to obtain results or solutions.
- Delivers best-in-class software as part of a software delivery team.
- Experience delivering products with Agile methodologies.
- Is humble, open to being coached, has high EQ and is self-aware.
- Desires to get things done while honoring people, and seeks to continuously improve.
- Bonus Points.
- You have led or contributed to Open Source projects (extra bonus points for cloud-native projects like Kubernetes or Docker).
- You have passed the CKA examination.
- You are a regular member of a Kubernetes SIG.