Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Come join SRE @ Apple! The iCloud Services team is looking for Site Reliability Engineers to build and run the services that millions of customers use every day. We are hiring high quality engineers with a diverse set of experiences and skill sets for positions on Apple's public facing properties & internal services including Apple Music and Maps. You must have both solid Linux / Systems expertise and demonstrated Software Development abilities. Our customers count on us to provide exceptional availability, scalability and security for services. As a SRE, you'll be an on a team whose mission it is to build and improve Apple's most critical internet services.
- BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent employment experience.
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated through clear communication.
- Demonstrated ability to write programs using a high-level programming language like: C, Java, Ruby, Python, or Perl.
- Proclivity towards efficient programming emphasizing improvement via complexity analysis.
- Experience managing large numbers of diverse systems with configuration management systems like: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Deep understanding of the Linux Operating System, including Kernel, Memory, Process, Threads, Static / Shared Libraries, IPC, Signals.
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model, Subnetting and Load Balancing.
- Fundamental understanding of distributed systems including: the CAP Theorem, Microservices, and the Twelve Factor App.
- Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using automation.
The iCloud Services runs are big. Operating at our scale, across multiple geographically dispersed data centers and servicing hundreds of millions of users presents unique challenges. As an SRE @ Apple, you'll need to solve these problems using data, teamwork, and your own expertise. SRE's @ Apple own the full infrastructure stack; from device driver performance debugging to content delivery network traffic management, our responsibilities are both broad and deep. iCloud Services runs the majority of its systems on Linux. We run a mix of open source and internally developed tools for system & configuration management, provisioning, software deployment, and monitoring. You'll learn these tools and have opportunities to improve them. Our team is collaborative; we work together and with the development teams we support to deliver the best results for Apple. We think rigorously and look for the best solution to the engineering challenges we face, while balancing the need to get things done. Good ideas are heard and results are rewarded.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent employment experience.
- - Architect, author and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability and security of
- Apple's internet services.
- - Build and lead systems, infrastructure and applications through automation.
- - Deploy, support and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks.
- - Use scale testing to measure, tune and optimization system performance.
- - Participate in on-call duties.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.