Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We are a small, productive team of passionate engineers building the infrastructure to validate a very wide range of Apple-designed devices that power the iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and more. We collaborate with electronic engineers to build mechanical fixtures for cutting-edge silicon packages, including sockets, thermal stations, and robotic chip testers. Our silicon characterization infrastructure enables our silicon engineering team to produce world-class silicon. We are looking for a senior Product Design/Mechanical Engineer to lead the design, development, and validation of test sockets, fixtures, and thermal solutions used for silicon characterization.
- Hands-on product design experience in consumer electronic products or modules
- Direct fixture design experience, especially thermal fixture design, is highly preferred
- 3D CAD experience required, NX preferred
- Familiarity with printed circuit board and flex circuit technology is required
- Basic understanding of EE concepts is required
- Thermal system design experience highly desired: heat sinks, heat pipes, vapor chambers; familiarity with chillers and thermoelectric heads
- Discipline in GD&T practices with close attention to datum establishment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and people skills; ability to interact with management, team members and external vendors
- Teamwork: the candidate must be able to communicate well with cross-functional team members, be able to efficiently collaborate with team members to achieve project goals, and contribute positively to the engineering community.
- You will own the end-to-end mechanical development of sockets and test fixtures for silicon validation - You will drive the development process for sockets, fixtures, and thermal solutions through a complete silicon product cycle - Work with socket suppliers to define socket requirements and developing technical specifications - Work with thermal-solution suppliers to establish thermal solution requirements and develop technical specifications - Work with internal PCB design teams to define footprints and other mechanical design drawings to assure interoperability - Work with cross-functional teams to ensure successful system integration - You will manage external partners and projects and ensuring interoperability of internal and external components - You will work on detailed mechanical design of fixtures and thermal solutions - Perform FEA simulations to validate assemblies - Perform dimensional and tolerance analysis - Run thermal simulations to prove thermal solution performance - Qualify socket suppliers and fabricators - Drive failure analyses and design of experiments (DOEs) to reach design solutions and corrective actions
Education & Experience
BS / MS / Ph.D in EE or CS is required