Cell Qualification Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? Envision what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. This position contributes to the development and qualification of advanced lithium ion battery technology for portable power consumer applications. You will work with internal multi- functional teams to develop battery cell and battery management system (BMS) qualification protocols using system requirements, user profiles and the battery aging model to ensure high level of customer experience. You will collaborate with cell and BMS testing engineers to execute the qualification protocols and explore new testing methods to improve productivity and efficiency. You will work with cell development engineers and a data analytics team to understand battery field failure mechanisms and develop models to detect battery abnormalities early in advance from the field.
- - Three years or more of physics-based modeling of electrochemical processes and performance characterization experience with emphasis on lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries aging model.
- - Working knowledge of Matlab.
- - Familiarity with applicable battery test equipment, test procedures, international standards and failure analysis applicable to rechargeable lithium battery products
- - Familiarity with current state of the art production processes applicable to lithium rechargeable cells
- - Experience applying quality tools and their application to development, characterization and production of lithium batteries, including statistical analysis of performance results, process capabilities, and design of experiments
- Strong aptitude in mathematical modeling of linear and nonlinear dynamical systems and distributed parameter systems.
- Ability to motivate and work independently with minimal mentorship required
- Ability to interact effectively with other engineers and teams
- Strong process oriented and data driven work culture
- Self-starter with excellent time management skills and entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to clearly understand and explain technical issues
- Support and justify technical decisions based on data and results
- Collaborate with cell and BMS engineers on defining qualification testing protocols. Use user profiles, battery aging model and system requirements to ensure high level of customer experience - Review, Analyze and Report Qual Result Data From Cupertino and Vendor Labs. - Flag and report anomalous qualification output and perform FA to identify RC for deviation. - Standardization of Qual Test Plans Across Labs to Improve Uniformity and Reliability of Qual Data - Identify opportunities to streamline Cell Qual - Reporting on KPI and monitoring timely execution of tests. - Improvement of Vendor Qual - Work with cell development engineers and a data analytics team to understand battery field failure mechanisms and develop models to detect battery abnormalities early in advance from the field
Education & Experience
PHD IN CHEMICAL, MECHANICAL, OR CONTROL ENGINEERING