3D Metrology Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our Battery Engineering group, you’ll help craft creative battery solutions that deliver more energy in smaller spaces than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new battery technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what batteries can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. The Battery Product Development team at Apple produces high energy and highly reliable embedded battery systems for all product teams. Tightly integrated with Product Development, Operations, Industrial Design and Reliability Testing groups, the Battery Product Development team owns battery module development from initial system architecture through ramp. The Battery Cell Mechanical Engineering Design Group works within the Battery Product Development organization and is the primary design resource for our battery cells, which are integrated into battery modules and then into products. The Battery Cell Metrology Engineer coordinates and executes the metrology plans for the overall battery cell design from initial system architecture through first customer ship.
- 5+ years experience in using and implementing integrated CAE solutions in multi-physics environments, centered on product design and development
- Defining and executing metrology activities (2D/3D, hardware + software, point cloud analysis)
- Experience directing / providing site support for tools
- 3+ years engineering management experience.
- Experience using a variety of metrology equipment and software
- Must be highly data-driven and detail focused.
- Specific experience with portable consumer electronic product or large format batteries is helpful
- Experience working with overseas vendors a plus
- High volume manufacturing and automation experience a plus
- Design and 3D CAD experience required, Siemens NX preferred
- Scientific method, experimental process, root cause analysis, statistical analysis
- Subject matter expert in 3D scanning and analysis is required
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes and/or automation is helpful
- Disciplined in GD&T practices with close attention to datum establishment and tolerance analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with management, team members and external vendors
- Work with the Battery Mechanical Engineering Design team to develop metrology requirements. - Brainstorms metrology design concepts and executes concepts in all phases of a development cycle - Generates innovative designs with cross-functional teams, including detailed written specifications, drawings and tolerance analyses - Defines and Executes design validation and characterization from prototype bring-up to product testing - Develops metrology designs and processes with external vendors, acting as product development technical liaison among vendors - Communicates cross-functionally on design directions and requirements - Manages and tracks multiple priorities within schedule requirements and drives multiple vendors towards common project goals - Conducts design reviews and drives file release process - Drives failure analyses and design of experiments (DOEs) to reach design solutions and corrective actions - Communicates status effectively throughout the management structure
Education & Experience
BSME / MSME Desireable