Sr. LiDAR System Design and Integration Lead Engineer - SPG
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Special Projects Group at Apple is currently seeking an extraordinary hardware engineer to serve as a senior LiDAR design and integration engineer. In this role, you will get a chance to design, develop and integrate new, cutting-edge LiDAR systems onto target platforms. This position requires significant skills and experience in depth sensing technologies such as fiber and semi-conductor lasers, photonic integrated circuits (PICs), optics, APDs, TIAs, as well as strong communication and team leadership qualities. These skills will allow you to serve as a senior member of a team that will oversee the development and integration of LiDAR systems into autonomous technology. Does working on autonomous technology excite you? Innovation is in your hands! We are ready to help you help us grow.
- M.S. or Ph.D in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field + minimum of 3 years of experience in product design and/or development engineering, or design verification and/or application engineering.
- Strong knowledge and experience with optics and fiber optic systems and some experience or deep familiarity with PICs and/or LiDAR systems is necessary.
- Excellent hands-on and laboratory skills in building, testing, verification, and troubleshooting of optical, fiber optic, electrical, and mechanical subsystems.
- Proficiency in data analysis using Python and/or MATLAB is a must.
- Excellent critical analysis, statistical analysis, and logic/reasoning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, collaboration, and leadership skills.
- Design, develop and integrate LiDAR modules, including but not limited to fiber optics, PICs, APDs, TIAs, electronics, firmware, and mechanical sub-assemblies. - Develop specifications for these sub-components. - Work with internal teams and/or external vendors to design and characterize these components. - Develop calibration and test procedures for sub-assemblies and integrated modules. - Define figures of merit to evaluate complete in factory module and sub-module performance. - Troubleshoot and perform root cause analysis of module and sub-component failures. - Define and execute module level LiDAR characterization and verification plans, develop quantitative metrics to evaluate performance and impairments, and specify in lab setups and real world validation scenarios. - Technical leadership to identify and drive performance improvements opportunities with cross-functional teams. - Vendor engagement and analysis.