Sr. DC-DC Power System Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of new power management technologies with the outstanding company consistently bringing innovations in the industry! In this position, you will be part of a team developing innovative designs, which are implemented in products used by millions of people. The position primarily involves advance DC-DC power design and development for Apple’s next generation Mac platforms spanning from notebook computers, desktop computers, and other future products.
- Candidate must have direct experience of power supply design and possess deep knowledge of IMVP/VR DC-DC power conversion topologies including analog and digital controls loop.
- Must be able to use of Spice based simulation tools, Simplis, MathCad, Cadence and excel mathematical analysis.
- Candidate must be intimately familiar with DC-DC voltage regulator chip architectures, magnetic design, PCB layout and state-of the art techniques for integration and efficiency optimizations.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to guide critical decisions
- Must possess good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges. Must possess knowledge of high volume manufacturing technologies and production variance
- Must be highly motivated, self-starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details.
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams is extremely meaningful
- Consistent record of working in fast paced innovative work environment
- Ideal candidate is with work experience in computer industry and/or power management semiconductor/silicon companies
- Engineering management experience is a plus
- Must be willing to occasional overseas travel as needed
- As a Sr. DC-DC power system designer, you will be driving innovative power circuit designs and system level partitioning from concept investigation and design thru successful product level implementation. - Participate in core architecture investigation while working closely with power architect by arbitrating design options with technical rigor for key power metric performance optimization including but not limited to efficiency, power density, cost, reduced carbon foot print and scalability - New power architectures definition for computers CPU/GPU and peripherals multi-phase/single phase dc-dc voltage regulators. Intimate knowledge of IMVP/VR regulators is required. - Provide single/multiphase DC-DC concept design simulation, calculation and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome including control loop stability, transient responses, layout analysis and parasitic extractions. - Own circuit design for CPU/GPU and peripheral power including circuit schematic and BOM; work with PCB layout team for DC-DC. Must be able to use schematic capture, BOM generation and Spice based simulation tools. Work closely with computer system HW team for DC-DC power designs integration, simulations and system level validation. - Work with DC-DC power vendors including silicon and magnetic vendors. Drive continuously highest integrations and technologies innovations. - Provide prototypes test and validation results, document multifaceted activities. Hands-on work in lab is must. - Perform competitive bench marking - Provide technical support for production issues debug and resolutions - Conduct DC-DC power seminars and training for multi-functional teams - Spearhead innovation thru outstanding behavior and collaboration - Experience in PMIC definition, application or design is a plus - Technically lead engineers in the DC-DC team throughout the life cycle of the products from concept to mass volume production.
Education & Experience
MSEE in power electronics with 10+ years experience. PhD preferred.