Battery Firmware/Algorithm Qualification Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? Envision what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. This position supports the development and qualification of advanced lithium ion battery technology for portable power consumer applications. You will work with internal multi-functional teams to develop battery firmware, algorithm and battery management system (BMS) qualification protocols using system requirements, user profiles and the battery health monitoring estimation models to ensure high level of customer experience. You will collaborate with FW, Algorithm and BMS engineers to develop the qualification protocols and explore new testing methods to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Good Electrical engineering background to understand impact of hardware behaviors on battery performance estimation.
- Good chemical understanding of Li Ion and related cell chemistries. Experience with detailed battery and cell modeling a plus.
- Experienced in various test tools like battery testers, EIS and others to evaluate algorithm performance in the batteries.
- Experience in writing efficient codes to analyze large data sets. Expertise in C programming in a Unix-derivative environment is highly desirable.
- Expertise in using modeling and simulation tools like Spice, MATLAB, Simulink and other specialized tools.
- Excellent skills in communication, problem solving and critical thinking.
- Should use advanced analytical interpretation and discretion to provide creative solutions. High level of mathematical and modeling capabilities to develop and verify algorithms, and expertise in numerical analysis.
- Strong process oriented and data driven work culture
- Self-starter with excellent time management skills and ambitious spirit
You will be a part of a team qualifying anew class of algorithms, architectures and products to improve the utility of batteries. In this role, you will collaborate with FW, Algo and BMS engineers on defining qualification testing protocols. Use user profiles, battery aging model and system requirements to ensure high level of customer experience. You will be expected to use a combination of advanced electrical and chemical engineering and mathematics to test, validate, and code. - You will develop simulation and empirical tests to validate State of Charge, State of Power and FW/AFE driven safety features of battery systems. - Review, Analyze and Report Qual Result Data From Cupertino Labs. - Flag and report anomalous qualification output and perform FA to identify RC for deviation. - Standardization of Qual Test Plans Across Labs to Improve Uniformity and Reliability of Qual Data - Identify opportunities to streamline FW and Algo Qual - Reporting on KPI and monitoring timely execution of tests. - Work with Algo and FW development engineers to understand user test cases and simulate - Develop verification methods to detect battery abnormalities early in advance in NPI design process.
Education & Experience
M.Sc or PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science