Infra Vendor Systems, Technology Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Carrier Technologies team is seeking a talented individual with outstanding social skills and an exceptional technical knowledge of cellular technologies. Every person on our team makes a clear difference to the product. This is a great opportunity to work with our hardware and Wireless software engineering teams to help drive and deliver the most innovative Apple wireless devices and iOS software features to customers on our operators’ networks worldwide. This position entails frequent interaction with the Worldwide Carriers, Network Infrastructure Vendors, Marketing, S/W and H/W engineering and regulatory teams.
- Knowledge of 3GPP/3GPP2 technologies and signaling protocols
- Proven understanding of wireless technologies: 5G-NR, IMS, GSM, UMTS, LTE-FDD, LTE-TDD
- Experience in wireless system design, driving research, innovation, and technology generation including but not limited to 2nd phase 5G NR capabilities like URLLC and NR V2X
- Strong knowledge of cellular network features, and having prior experience with roadmap generation / product management
- Wireless communication Physical and MAC layers concepts
- Experience with wireless channel modeling and interference estimation
- Good understanding of software development
- Expertise in C++, Python and Matlab with experience in simulating complex communication systems
- Minimum of 10 years prior engineering experience working on cellphones or similar products that operate on cellular networks
- Experience working with vendors/partners in the areas of modem chipset development and commercialization, wireless standards development and early-stage prototyping for next generation cellular
- Strong software program or project management experience
- Ambitious and proactive with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to travel as necessary
The primary responsibility of an Infra Vendor Systems Technology Manager is to plan and project lead the implementation of the homegrown and standards-based technologies with our infrastructure vendors partners. Working multi-functionally, the Infra Vendor Systems TM will generate product requirements and perform gap analysis for cellular modem platforms and associated Apple products. This entails having detailed understanding of 3GPP and standards based technology evolution, infra vendor product roadmaps, feature implementations and carrier deployment options & strategies. Infra Vendor Systems TM will be encouraged to evaluate features defined in the 3GPP specifications, based on ecosystem (operator, infra-vendor, regulatory, spectrum) requirements, performance benefits for the device, competitive landscape across OEMs, and complexity of implementation and recommended whether to implement a feature on a current modem or a future modem on the roadmap. In addition to above, the Infra Systems TM will also develop supporting material to explain Apple’s position in internal /external product planning and road-mapping exercises. This will include, but not be limited to, spreadsheet analysis, architecture-power-performance trade-off projections, design and coordination of complex communications systems simulations, end-to-end network emulations and systems modeling for cellular modem features.
Education & Experience
MS EE/CS/CE or equivalent.