AI/ML - Engineering Program Manager, Machine Learning Platform & Technologies
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Apple's Core Machine Learning team is seeking an experienced program manager to help bring ML solutions to everyone. You will help us improve the adoption and capabilities of Apple's ML solutions while minimizing the effort for ML development. To do this, you will partner with engineering teams that deliver ground breaking on-device performant machine learning frameworks, platforms, tools, and services while inherently respecting and actively protecting customer privacy. This role requires an upbeat and motivated individual with strong communication, organization, and relationship-building skills who work well in fast-paced and multifaceted environments. As a member of the AI/ML EPM team, you will be responsible for providing product guidance and strategy to new customer-facing features that millions of customers around the world will use.
- 5+ years as a Project or Program Manager
- Experience with shipping large (multiple months of development) machine learning/data science features/products to internal or external customers in a principal leadership role through the entire life cycle (planning, executing, and shipping).
- Experience with collaboration across multiple, disparate teams (software and hardware engineering) as well as other PMs, privacy, design, security, marketing, legal, etc.
- Experience with open-source products and working with the open-source community on behalf of an engineering program.
- Experience providing regular, executive-level project and program status in both written and verbal form.
- Knowledge of statistics, data science, or machine learning as well as software engineering standard methodologies.
- Have a spotless record of reliability and integrity representing your products, program, and engineering organization; a strong history of delivering what you promise when you promise it.
You will be expected to drive the right conversations with stakeholders across multiple teams to make Apple’s Machine Learning roadmaps both focused and compelling to internal and external teams at all levels of expertise. You will be driving collaboration and communication efforts both inside and outside of Apple, including potentially representing the team’s efforts at Apple WWDC (WorldWide Developer Conference). You will improve our understanding of developer needs and define our product direction by doing product analysis of various ML solutions offered by Apple and other companies to different customer profiles. You will provide comprehensive and effective ownership of large projects and features from inception through delivery; supervising specifications, scope, requirements, timelines, and resource allocation. This ownership includes communicating all levels of project planning, development status, and executive reviews. This role is expected to be very autonomous and to constantly turn ideas into action and creatively overcome obstacles. Your portfolio will cover multiple areas, including customer-facing features with UI elements; development and improvement of on-device ML components; client and server work; focus on internal & external adoption of Apple’s ML technologies; better collaboration with Security, Privacy, and HW teams, and team-level representation of MLPT efforts. You will need to build and maintain new and existing relationships across Apple AI/ML organization, first-party App teams, the OS teams, relevant HW (Apple Neural Engine) teams, Privacy & Security, Marketing & Evangelism & Worldwide Developer Relations, Legal, and other Apple programs. Responsibilities include fostering trust and collaboration, negotiating alignment of priorities, and communicating and driving completion of dependencies, making sure that good decisions are made by the right people are your priority.
Education & Experience
BS/MS EE/CS/CE or equivalent
- - Experience shipping multiple global consumer-facing features at a large company where software is one of their primary products.
- - Professional experience working on products or projects involving machine learning; especially on-device ML or hardware-optimized ML, open-source ML products like PyTorch & TensorFlow, and training ML models.