App Store - Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, Washington, United States
Software and Services
When this team introduced the App Store, it launched a cultural and economic phenomenon that changed the way people live, work, and play. These engineers continue to innovate the platform, now home to over 1.5 million apps — each created using the team’s own software development kit and related services. All those apps mean the store takes billions of requests from more than 500 million visitors every week, across iOS, macOS, tvOS, iPadOS, and watchOS. To deliver such a rich experience at this scale, the engineers build high- performance systems backed up by persistent systemwide A/B testing. And to help people discover apps they love, the team uses machine learning techniques that include natural language processing to develop new algorithms for personalization, search, and recommender systems. In a world where apps have become essential in people’s daily lives, the App Store team has become essential to Apple’s business. Areas of work include macOS/iOS Engineering, Full-Stack Engineering, Front-End Engineering, Back-End Engineering, Quality Engineering, Machine Learning Engineering, Data Science, Data Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, Commerce Engineering, and Engineering Project Management.
- Deep knowledge of Java
- Expertise in Object Oriented Design and Programming
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong problem solver
- At least 5 years hands-on experience with the following:
- Building application server components and services
- Designing and implementing secure REST APIs
- Schema design for a high-performance database like Cassandra
- JSON and Protobuf serialization
- Experience deploying software on elastic platforms such as Kubernetes, EC2, Mesos, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with Swift on the server is a bonus
You will participate in designing and implementing logic for ingesting apps that demonstrate new features in future devices and upcoming versions of iOS, tvOS and macOS. You will implement functionality that analyzes apps on ingest, extracting and storing information displayed on the App Store, and used in the App Store’s review and curation processes. You will implement enhancements and improvements to the workflow by which apps are thinned, encrypted, signed, and otherwise processed for distribution to TestFlight and the App Store. Join our team that has been leading the industry by constantly developing creative features since its launch in April 2003. We are looking for a self starting, high-energy individual who is not afraid to question assumptions and who has excellent communication skills. We look for good teammates who are able to take on problems under tight deadline constraints and deliver imaginative solutions.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- This position is in a small team that is tightly focused on a specific set of critically important systems. Your ability and self-motivation to learn new technologies, and promote novel solutions to the problems at hand, is important to success. The team is remotely distributed across the continental US, so strong communication skills are necessary.