Mgr, DC-DC Power System Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of new power management technologies with the exemplary company consistently bringing innovations in the industry. In this position, you will be part of team developing innovative designs, which are implemented in products used by millions of people. The position primarily involves advance DC-DC power design and development for Apple’s next generation Mac platforms spanning from notebook computers, desktop computers, and other future products.
- You have direct experience of power supply design and possess deep knowledge of IMVP/VRM DC-DC power conversion topologies including analog and digital controls loop
- Spice based simulation tools, Simplis, MathCad, Matlab and excel mathematical analysis
- Deep understanding DC-DC voltage regulator chip architectures, magnetic design, PCB layout and state-of the art techniques for integration and efficiency optimizations
- Strong analytical skills and ability to guide critical decisions
- Good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges. Deep knowledge of high volume manufacturing technologies and production variance
- Experience with digital hardware design such as microcontrollers and digital interfaces (such as I2C, SPI, SPMI, etc)
- Highly motivated, self-starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details
- Ability to work well with multi-functional teams
- Proven record of working in dynamic innovative work environment
- Experience in computer industry and/or power management semiconductor/silicon companies
- Engineering management experience is a plus
- Occasional overseas travel is required
As a DC-DC power system designer, you will be driving innovative power circuit designs and system level partitioning from concept investigation and design thru successful product level implementation. Participate in core architecture investigation while working closely with system and power architects by arbitrating design options with technical rigor for key power metric performance optimization including but not limited to efficiency, power density, cost, reduced carbon footprint and scalability. New power architectures definition for computers CPU/GPU and peripherals multi-phase/single phase dc-dc voltage regulators. Deep knowledge of IMVP/VRM regulators is a requirement. Provide single/multiphase DC-DC concept design simulation, calculation and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome including control loop stability, transient responses, layout analysis and parasitic extractions. Own circuit design for CPU/GPU and peripheral power including circuit schematic and BOM; work with PCB layout team for DC-DC. You should be able to use schematic capture, BOM generation and Spice based simulation tools. Work closely with computer system HW team for DC-DC power designs integration, simulations and system level validation. Work with DC-DC power vendors including silicon and magnetic vendors. Drive continuously highest integrations and technologies innovations. Provide prototypes test and validation results, document multi-dimensional activities. Hands-on work in lab is a plus. Perform competitive bench marking. Provide technical support for production issues debug and resolutions. Conduct DC-DC power seminars and training for multi-functional teams. Spearhead innovation thru exemplary behavior and collaboration. Deep understanding PMIC definition, application or design. Technically lead engineers in the DC-DC team throughout the life cycle of the products from concept to mass volume production.
Education & Experience
MSEE in power electronics with 8+ year’s experience MUST. PhD preferred.