AMP Data Science & Analytics Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, excellent ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. If you are someone who thrives in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment then you have a phenomenal opportunity to play your part in shaping the data landscape here at Apple’s AMP Data Science/Analytics org. We have carved out a niche position in Data Prototyping to play a pivotal role in modeling datasets for our Analytics/Data Science teams. In our constantly changing, ever-evolving data landscape we are always in search of outstanding data models built on future-proof, scalable, intuitive designs that can support all the high-value, high-visibility, nuanced reporting and analytics our AMP Data Science/ Analytics teams are charged with. We have highly proficient Data teams to support us in this endeavor but data prototyping closes the gap between data engineering and business perspectives of the same datasets.
- Should have experience in data modeling and crafting data marts
- We seek experience in Business Intelligence/ Data Analytics roles
- We are looking for experience in designing and building scalable, high quality data models that translate business Reporting/Analytics requirements
- Database development experience with Relational or MPP/distributed systems such as Oracle/Teradata/Vertica/Hadoop
- We are seeking programming experience in building high quality software in Python or Scala
- Should be proficient in writing Advanced SQLs, Expertise in performance tuning of SQLs
- Should demonstrate excellent understanding of development processes and agile methodologies
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Hardworking, highly motivated and ability to learn quick
- Experience with or advanced courses on data science is a plus
- Work/project experience with Big Data and advanced programming languages
- Experience developing data/Hadoop applications using java, Spark, Hive, Oozie, Kafka, and Map Reduce is a huge plus
A typical data prototyping assignment might start with understanding business requirements for reporting and analytics in any given domain and then translating these requirements into datasets. You would be required to execute your design ideas based on deep understanding of requirements and expertise in the domain, into these datasets. You would have to prototype these datasets using available technology stack, as per your design, validate the data and circulate the datasets through the user groups to ensure that it delivers an intuitive, easy-to-use, efficient solution. You would also be responsible for updating your design with feedback from the user groups and to educate them on usability and design of the datasets. Once the prototyping is refined and complete, you would be responsible for working with Data Engineering teams in helping them understand all facets of the requirements and design. This is a critical part of the job where you would play a pivotal role in closing the gap between core dataset designs and curated business-focussed derivatives thereof. During the entire process you would be responsible for understanding the end-to-end data flow and to educate partner teams across Data Engineering, Data integrity, Business Intelligence, Analytics and Data Science. The role of Data Prototyping plays a pivotal part in ensuring high quality, easily modifiable, scalable, easy-to-use, curated, business-centric datasets used across the length and breadth of the AMP Analytics/Data Science team. These datasets are used directly or indirectly to report KPIs and critical insights to the executive/leadership team at Apple on a daily basis. You have to be an expert data engineer and an equally good data analyst to fully represent this role. You would also need to have bold, innovative ideas with a single-minded focus on solving problems.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in Engineering, Computer Science, Business Information Systems.