Sr. LiDAR System Design and Integration Engineer - SPG
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Special Projects Group at Apple is currently seeking a LiDAR design and integration engineer. In this role, you will get a chance to design, develop and integrate new, cutting-edge LiDAR systems onto target platforms. This position requires skills and experience in depth sensing technologies such as fiber and semi-conductor lasers, photonic integrated circuits (PICs), optics, APDs, TIAs, and hands-on experience in working with measurement and characterization setups in the lab. These skills will allow you to serve as a member of a team to develop and integrate of novel LiDAR systems into autonomous technology.
- M.S. or Ph.D in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field + minimum of 3 years of experience in product design and/or development engineering, or design verification and/or application engineering.
- Strong knowledge and experience with optics and fiber optic systems and some experience or deep familiarity with and/or LiDAR systems is necessary.
- Excellent hands-on and laboratory skills in building, testing, verification, and troubleshooting of optical, fiber optic, electrical, and mechanical subsystems.
- Proficiency in data analysis using Python and/or MATLAB is a must.
- Excellent critical analysis, statistical analysis, and logic/reasoning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Design, develop and integrate LiDAR modules, including but not limited to fiber optics, PICs, APDs, TIAs, electronics, firmware, and mechanical sub-assemblies. You will be expected to be directly responsible for a subset of the above, and have in-depth knowledge of inter-dependencies of all sub-components of the LiDAR modules. - Develop and verify specifications for responsible sub-components. - Work with internal teams and/or external vendors to design and characterize these components. - Develop calibration and test procedures for responsible sub-assemblies and integrated modules. - Troubleshoot and perform root cause analysis of module and sub-component failures. - Develop and execute module level LiDAR characterization and verification plans, develop quantitative metrics to evaluate performance and impairments, and specify in lab setups and real world validation scenarios. - Technical leadership to identify and drive performance improvements opportunities with cross-functional teams. - Vendor engagement. Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace