MSI- Lead Software Engineer/Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Location: Cupertino, CA Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. SUMMARY: Apple launches new products (iPhone, Mac, Apple Watch, Airpods, etc.) on a tremendous scale each year. Our Manufacturing Systems and Infrastructure (MSI) team are capturing, consolidating and tracking petabytes of data for Apple’s products and modules worldwide. We are a multi-functional team, tackling challenging software engineering problems across a broad range of Apple manufacturing and global supply chain operations. You'll be leading innovation by exploring, investigating, recommending, benchmarking and implementing new features for the platform. This data is used throughout the company and the product's lifecycle: from the very beginning, to validate that units being built are fully tested and of high quality before leaving the factory, all of the way through to warranty support for customers. Apple's MSI team is seeking a Lead Software Engineer who possesses a real passion for developing extraordinary products with a deep appreciation for user experience.
- Previous experience crafting, implementing and developing scalable enterprise level data processing solutions as well as ecosystems for web applications & API platforms
- Experience with Big Data, data ingestion, data processing tools: Presto, Spark, Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, HDFS, S3, Impala etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including MySQL, Postgres, Druid, Elastic and Cassandra
- Possess a solid grasp on data reporting and data visualization challenges
- Expertise in Java, Scala and Java Enterprise (JEE) technology like Spring or Play
- Containerization: Kubernetes, Docker, Mesos, Marathon
- Good understanding of factors influencing performance of micro services at multiple layers including network, CPU utilization, JVM tuning, memory management, thread management, database connection pooling, instrumentation and query performance
- Work with or knowledge of front end technologies considered a plus, preferred skills in: ReactJS, HTML4/5, CSS3, AJAX & jQuery
Do you love the idea of solving a new business or technical problem every other day with a wide range of technologies? Join our team and be a part of a fast-paced, iterative environment with many exciting responsibilities! We are looking for highly motivated, detail oriented, technically savvy, high-energy professionals who like to re-define large data platforms. As a lead/architect you will be acting in a technical leadership capacity: handling a mix of responsibilities spanning leadership, providing mentorship to others, handling code reviews, redesign, as well as individual implementation work. Apply your technical expertise, including engineering and operational excellence to complicated programming and design problems. Identify areas for improvement and take initiative to work towards a solution. Seek out and tackle problems independently as well as know when to engage team members to drive innovation. Lead code reviews and redesign existing applications for better user experience involving performance and usability. • Utilize industry/domain knowledge on innovative trends regarding platform/ecosystem/software architecture and performance for data processing and web applications • Create reusable, scalable architectures to prepare data for generating data and BI insights • Design and develop software architecture for large scale, multi-tier services web- based applications for data visualization/analytics, tools and dashboards to answer complex analytical and real-time operational questions • Capture and understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements • Think through implications of choices and communicate key decision junctures driving technical design decision-making • Collaborate with a diverse team of Designers, Developers, and Data Engineers • Balance working on variety of high profile, critical projects
Education & Experience
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.