AI/ML - Engineering Program Manager, Machine Learning Privacy Technologies
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Apple's Core Machine Learning team is seeking an experienced program manager to lead highly cross-functional technology efforts that deliver intelligent insights while inherently respecting and actively protecting customer privacy. This is an opportunity to own and lead new Privacy-focused ML initiatives and technologies for stakeholders both inside and outside of Apple. You will partner with both internal and external teams that deliver privacy-preserving strategies and solutions in areas like Private Federated Learning and Federated Statistics. As a member of the AI/ML EPM team, you will be responsible for developing, driving, and shipping powerful, flexible, and secure ML frameworks and providing product guidance and strategy to new customer-facing features that millions of customers around the world will use. We are looking for an upbeat and motivated individual with strong communication, organization, and relationship-building skills and who works well in a fast-paced and multifaceted environment.
- 5+ years as a Project or Program Manager on large-scale customer-facing feature development.
- Has shipped at least one large (multiple months of development) software feature to customers in a principal leadership role through the entire life cycle (planning, executing, and shipping).
- Has been in a role that requires working cross-functionally with multiple teams; engineering as well as other PMs, privacy, design, security, marketing, legal, and others.
- Has been in a role that owns providing regular executive-level project and program status in both written and verbal form.
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices and related dependencies.
- Have a spotless record of reliability and integrity representing your products, program, and engineering organization; a proven history of delivering what you promise when you promise it.
- Product Management: You will be expected to facilitate and drive the right cross-functional product strategy conversations to make the ML Privacy roadmap both focused and compelling; push the envelope to plan features and technologies that will increase the capabilities of Apple experiences while steadfastly protecting user privacy. Your portfolio will cover multiple areas, including ML research and data analysis; development and improvement of on-device ML components; client and server work; focus on internal & external adoption of ML technologies; better collaboration with Apple Security, Privacy, and HW teams. Making sure that good decisions are made by the right people is your priority. - Project Management: You will provide comprehensive and effective ownership of large projects and features from inception through delivery; leading all aspects of specifications, scope, requirements, timelines, and resource allocation. This ownership includes presenting all levels of project planning, development status, and executive reviews. You will be very autonomous and to constantly turn ideas into action and creatively overcome obstacles. - Program Management: You will need to build and maintain new and existing relationships across Apple AI/ML organization, first-party App teams, the OS teams, relevant HW teams, Privacy & Security, Marketing & Evangelism & Worldwide Developer Relations, Legal, and other Apple programs. Responsibilities include fostering trust and collaboration, negotiating alignment of priorities, and communicating and driving completion of dependencies. Your priority is ensuring that your teams are always unblocked and informed, and you will help lead the team-level representation of ML Privacy efforts. You will be driving ML Privacy-related communication efforts both inside and outside of Apple, including helping represent ML Privacy at Apple WWDC (World Wide Developer Conference).
Education & Experience
BS/MS EE/CS/CE or equivalent.
- - Experience shipping multiple global consumer-facing features at a large company where software is one of their primary products.
- - Professional experience working on products or projects involving machine learning; especially on-device ML or with a privacy/security-related focus.