AI/ML - Engineering Program Manager, ML Training & Conversion
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Apple's Core Machine Learning team is seeking an experienced program manager to lead highly cross-functional efforts to improve Apple's machine learning training technologies, plus support and optimization for developers using Tensorflow and PyTorch. This is an opportunity to own and lead new ML initiatives and involvement in the ML open-source community for stakeholders both inside and outside of Apple. This role requires an energetic and motivated individual with strong communication, organization, and relationship-building skills who work well in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. You will partner with engineering teams that deliver cutting-edge on-device performant machine learning solutions while inherently respecting and actively protecting customer privacy. As a member of the AI/ML EPM team, you will be responsible for developing, driving, and shipping powerful, flexible, and secure ML frameworks and providing product guidance and strategy to new customer-facing features that millions of customers around the world will use.
- 5+ years as a Project or Program Manager on large-scale customer-facing feature development.
- Has shipped at least one large (multiple months of development) software feature to customers in a principal leadership role through the entire life cycle (planning, executing, and shipping).
- Has been in a role that requires working cross-functionally with multiple teams; software and hardware engineering as well as other PMs, privacy, design, security, marketing, legal, and others.
- Experience with open source products and working with the open-source community on behalf of an engineering program.
- Has been in a role that owns providing regular executive-level project and program status in both written and verbal form.
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices and related dependencies.
- Have a spotless record of reliability and integrity representing your products, program, and engineering organization; a demonstrable history of delivering what you promise when you promise it.
- You will be expected to facilitate and drive the right cross-functional conversations to make Apple’s Hardware-Aware ML Training stack and ML Open Source roadmaps both focused and compelling. You will be driving collaboration and communication efforts both inside and outside of Apple, including representing Apple’s Training & OS efforts at Apple WWDC (World Wide Developer Conference). - You will improve our understanding of developer needs and define our product direction by doing product analysis of various ML training libraries such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc. - You will provide comprehensive and effective ownership of large projects and features from inception through delivery; overseeing specifications, scope, requirements, timelines, and resource allocation. This ownership includes communicating all levels of project planning, development status, and executive reviews. This role is expected to be very autonomous and to constantly turn ideas into action and creatively overcome obstacles. - Your portfolio will cover multiple areas, including customer-facing features with UI elements; development and improvement of on-device ML components; client and server work; focus on internal & external adoption of Apple’s ML technologies; better collaboration with Apple Security, Privacy, and HW teams, and team-level representation of MLPT efforts. - You will need to build and maintain new and existing relationships across Apple AI/ML organization, first-party App teams, the OS teams, relevant HW (Apple Neural Engine) teams, Privacy & Security, Marketing & Evangelism & Worldwide Developer Relations, Legal, and other Apple programs. Responsibilities include fostering trust and collaboration, negotiating alignment of priorities, and communicating and driving completion of dependencies. Making sure that good decisions are made by the right people is your priority.
Education & Experience
BS/MS EE/CS/CE or equivalent.
- - Experience shipping multiple global consumer-facing features at a large company where software is one of their primary products.
- - Professional experience working on products or projects involving machine learning; especially on-device ML or hardware-optimized ML, open-source ML products like PyTorch & TensorFlow, and training ML models.